Spoilers vs Theories

This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Brian E.

• Author
       Maxwell R
      Participant

So I’ve been stewing on this for about a week now and I have refrained from posting theories about where the story is headed on the forums because I am afraid it would spoil surprises for others. I have felt like I have been absent from posting due to the internal dilemma. It is very easy to tug on threads to unravel the sweater but it is much harder to put them back. I am curious where you all draw the line with information/theory development, it isn’t hard to figure out the direction of some story elements or who an actor is (as we have seen before) but does that really mean anything to the narrative set before us? The message from @thecontroller has kind of put me at ease with my silence.

“We haven’t even started… we are still on page one of the foreword. Careful connecting dots just because they are easy to connect. This too is dangerous. ALL WILL HAVE THEIR PATH.”

This isn’t meant to be preachy, research is a part of all of this so no one can blame anyone for finding anything out there. I just want to know where y’all stand on the situation.

Mike
      Participant

To me, there is no line. A theory is just a theory until it actually happens. It’s possible we guessed things that happened in Tension before they happened and some of that stayed (what up Gatekeeper Jedi spirits!) and some was probably rewritten. I guess to me, a theory isn’t a spoiler. If a theory turns out to actually happen, it’s more of an excitement than a spoiler.

For me personally, the reveal that Tom Barrow was NOT Addison’s father was incredible to me. I jumped out of my seat with excitement and that was something I was saying since we first encountered him. So technically, that was a spoiler, but thing is, none of us know anything 🙂

Beth
      Participant

When the information appears organically along the way, that’s just good foreshadowing. For the gun going off in the third act to mean anything, you had to have noticed it in the first act.

Megan
      Participant

Until there is an event that people can attend and it’s possible to spoil for future attendees (like Ascension), or there are people interviewing creators who know things others don’t, there are no spoilers. Spoilers are true things that are known by some but not by others about newly released material (i.e. it is NOT a spoiler that Ned Stark dies).

If Bryan were to do an interview for The Verge and learn something about the plot of Lust that isn’t supposed to happen until a few months from now…that’s a spoiler.

Theories are things that we are making up ourselves, whether based on info or based on made up shit. Theories aren’t necessarily true. We can and should discuss theories all day long.

Lukas L
      Participant

Personally @moustachemax I enjoy posting theories. Speculating on the possibility of a storyline helps me dig in and better grasp what is going on. When you start a theory, you are forced to go back and gather facts. You more often than not, wind up finding things that you may have missed. Then who knows when you speak out on your findings, even if the theory is wrong, you may spark an idea for someone else because they missed something.

I personally think that a forum that only has posts about presented facts and real life encounters would really alienate a good portion of thier following, especially out of towners. What would be the reason for an out of towner to post. Maybe if they get a phone call or make something really cool. But that is few and far between.

I’m hoping @thecontroller is basically just saying be careful what you believe to be true before it’s fact because that could be dangerious and may effect your path in a negative way.

Chris
      Participant

I’d also like to think that our active theorizing fuels the Creators. This isn’t your traditional experience with ratings or ticket sales to track penetration. Without our emotional outbursts and wild speculation, this website would be a much quieter place. From the early days this has always been a giant puzzle. Seeing us engaged and trying to put it together even when every piece isn’t available to us, I would think, makes them feel good and inspires them as they craft the next piece.

Kimberly Stewart
      Participant

I’m just glad you’re back @moustachemax! You have such a creative mind and unique way of looking at the world. I can’t wait to hear your thoughts and theories. (For those that experienced HYSJ: Pet Theory, anyone?! So classic. Love, love, love.)

Taylor Winters
      Participant

@moustachemax, I am quite excited to hear your theories. Please share them with the community. Never Silent! Sharing ideas and bouncing them back and forth in the community is a great way to organize ideas, come up with new possibilities, and see situations from another’s perspective. I say, keep theorizing!

PS. Your Pet theory has been my favorite immersive theater theory to date.

Maxwell R
      Participant

Awesome, I just didn’t want to step on any toes, creator or otherwise. Thank you all for clearing that up a bit. Nothing is proven until they let it be so I guess I can go crazy for a bit.

@electrichippo
      and @taysavestheday They will always be Pets in my book.

Brian E
      Participant

I have kept specific theories and concept ideas off the boards, and I’ve done this twice. The first time, was cause I had a theory that tied nicely were things were at the time, and I wanted it to go in this direction, and it was an unexpected idea that I felt just worked in the moment. It’s been said in multiple interviews by Clint and Darren (who may or may not be apart of this, no one really knows), that when the forums figured out something we were doing we’d change it.

It’s why I waited until 4 hours before I posted my theory on what would happen the chosen 10. Cause that way there wouldn’t be a ton of time to change the strategy if it was going to go in that direction, which it’s really hard to say what even happened at the “Focus Group”. They all could be lying could of seen things the are not allowed to talk about, could of made secret deals, we just don’t know yet.

There’s a problem that posts can’t be deleted, or a mod can be contacted to request a thread be deleted. I have a crazy conspiracy theory idea concept, but it bring to light possible issues, and could open a can of worms in a way that I don’t want to happen. So instead, I’ll sit back relax, and read what other people think will happen for the time being, until more actual narrative information is revealed.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar