FB Post – 6/30/17

This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 10 months ago by Anonymous.

• Author
       Kortney
      Participant

Quote –
      “Shallow men believe in luck or in circumstance. Strong men believe in cause and effect.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Original Painting –

The Shadow by Edmund Blair Leighton

Link to description of painting

Cristen
      Participant

Good morning, creatures.

A bit more on the myth:
      Depending on the source, the girl in the painting either IS Debutades or she’s the daughter of Butades/Dibutades, the first clay sculptor. She traced her departing lover’s shadow on her wall (or in this case, the castle wall) and her father molded him into clay for her.

I think the concept of the Shadow and making a copy of the real thing has been a common theme for many weeks now.

The Emerson quote is a personal favorite as well. Here’s a hunk of the context that I think is very notable (I have paraphrased):

Shallow men believe in luck, believe in circumstances: It was somebody’s name, or he happened to be there at the time, or, it was so then, and another day it would have been otherwise. Strong men believe in cause and effect.

Skepticism is unbelief in cause and effect. A man does not see…that fortunes are not exceptions but fruits; that relation and connection are not somewhere and sometimes, but everywhere and always…and what comes out, that was put in…we are the builders of our fortunes; cant and lying and the attempt to secure a good which does not belong to us, are, once for all, balked and vain. But, in the human mind, this tie of fate is made alive. The law is the basis of the human mind. In us, it is inspiration; out there in Nature, we see its fatal strength. We call it the moral sentiment.

It’s from an essay called “Worship.” Of course it is. So how do you choose to exist within this Experience? I’ll venture it’s not by waiting around for something to happen to you. You are the maker of your own fortune. Raise your voice.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Very much applies to the winding of the clock.

You make things happen for yourself.

Waiting around for an interaction is a fools game. A shallow game.

Only the active move forward.

Sean

Odd that they’d link directly to the activity feed. Perhaps because they’ll do something else like the Sinclair-bots? Multiple posts across multiple topics? Or perhaps through a status update, that only shows on /activity/

Lia
      Participant

This painting cracks me up. “I miss bae. Daddy, make me a new one!” She really went above and beyond in paving her own path.

@thegilded
      This could follow with the theory that “only one” meant The One in this instance. Lots of people follow the Facebook account that aren’t active users on the boards. On the other hand, the activity feed is one of the easiest places for them to get a hold of all of us at once on their terms. They might still make us scramble for one spot though.

Sean

I might be over-analyzing, I don’t think that they’ve ever linked directly to the feed before, normally just to the site itself or a topic.

But it is possible that they’re just linking to the most direct way to see the update when it goes live when they don’t have a topic that they can point to yet.

Antigonos
      Participant

I can’t seem to recall them linking directly to the feed before either. I agree with it being an easy direct means to broadcast to the core group of engaged users though, insofar as active members of the forum are probably more engaged than facebook followers-to Lia’s point.

Hannah Schenck
      Participant

Strong men believe in cause and effect, yes. Smart men anticipate. Superior men do both. With that, powerful energy is created to wind the clock from us being active, present and engaged.

superstar
      Participant

Nicely said, @shankfx22.

Brian E
      Participant

@shankfx22 Well said, excellent observation and statement.

*I added your quote to the FB post, cause it’s so good I think more should see it.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Brian E.
       Kevin Hsu
      Participant

there have been attempts to reach out to some of the participants that dropped out. have they come back? perhaps we will see shadow accounts to fill the emptiness.

Addison
      Participant

So to @lilmsfancpants, @thegilded and @jrjeff1990 ‘s points about the FB post directly linking to the activity feed, it kinda leads us to one or more these points, right?

1) There will be a new topic posted at 1pm
      2) There will be a change to the structure of the site, visible on the activity page
      3) Something’s going to happen that’s going to cause the activity feed to go crazy at 1pm. (rev up those RSS feeds)

Wind those clocks UP y’all.

Hannah Schenck
      Participant

You bring up three solid theories of what could happen at 1pm @addisonborn. I personally cannot decide which one would be more likely since they all could be pretty plausible. I’d say #1 or #3 most likely

Addison
      Participant

Also, sorry for doubling up. but.

At the very end of that article @kortneydarling posted –

…two known original versions of “The Shadow” exist, with slight differences in the details: one hangs in the grand City Hall in Cardiff, Wales, UK, and the other in the Berman Museum in Anniston, Alabama…

There is a “shadow” of the painting called The Shadow.

cc: @blondie you up? how close are you to City Hall, Cardiff?

Also the point made directly before:

It was not uncommon for prolific painters such as Leighton to create two or more versions of the same painting or scene; often they would experiment with different lighting or perspective, or perhaps a client would see a work and commission a similar one.

So there’s one that’s the artist’s original vision, and then one that’s essentially a facsimile created for commercial use.

“Art” vs “profit” :: “down & dirty experimenting to create indie art” vs “allowing creative influence from The Investors in order to keep the lights on”

I’m definitely reading too far into this, but it feels to me like a reference to the meta-narrative of the Creators, the Michelle’s theatrical experiment vs OSDM’s data mining, and (reaching here) Sabrina’s brainwashing by the OSDM when she only wanted to make art vs Sabrina returning on her own in the name of power and control.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Addison.
       Andrew Kasch
      Participant

I’ve learned you can absolutely never predict what will happen and the second you try, you end up disappointed.

Half of it is being at the right place at the right time and the other half is being like Matthew McConaughey in True Detective. 😉

Anonymous
      Inactive

@addisonborn

So there’s one that’s the artist’s original vision, and then one that’s essentially a facsimile created for commercial use.
      “Art” vs “profit” :: “down & dirty experimenting to create indie art” vs “allowing creative influence from The Investors in order to keep the lights on”
      I’m definitely reading too far into this, but it feels to me like a reference to the meta-narrative of the Creators, the Michelle’s theatrical experiment vs OSDM’s data mining, and (reaching here) Sabrina’s brainwashing by the OSDM when she only wanted to make art vs Sabrina returning on her own in the name of power and control.

GOOD LORD! This is a super fascinating take away from the Post dude. Seems like everything has a flip side don’t it?

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar