FB Post – 10/3

This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 6 months ago by Kevin.

• Author
       Kortney
      Participant

Quote –

“But for every man there exists a bait which he cannot resist swallowing.” – Friedrich Nietzsche

Original Painting –

The Sower, 1944 by James Gleeson

About Painting –

I think that there was always the hope that it could influence the way people thought about war. That it could alert people to its horrors and prevent it occurring again. You see, I was born during the First World War in 1915, and my earliest experiences were with people who were in that war or remembered the war very vividly, and then, just when I was beginning to paint, the Second World War began. So war became a kind of lurking terror in my mind from infancy through to late adolescence, when it was all building up again for another one.

I had Millet’s Sower in mind when I painted it. This is a 20th-century ‘Sower’ and the dislocated limbs represent humanity out of gear, the bleak landscape represents the present period, whereas Millet’s landscape showed fertility.

Chelsea
      Participant

Here’s the whole quote: “Every man has his price.” This is not true. But for every man there exists a bait which he cannot resist swallowing. To win over certain people to something, it is only necessary to give it a gloss of love of humanity, nobility, gentleness, self-sacrifice – and there is nothing you cannot get them to swallow. To their souls, these are the icing, the tidbit; other kinds of souls have others.”

Violet
      Participant

Ohhhh yeah, that quote in its entirety is relevant as fuck.

Mike
      Participant

To win over certain people to something, it is only necessary to give it a gloss of love of humanity, nobility, gentleness, self-sacrifice

Could Otis be the bait? He seems to be the only one who’s won all of us over.

Kevin
      Participant

Gleeson’s quote does sum it up perfectly, but actually comparing the two paintings is interesting. Gleeson’s Sower is so different that if you didn’t know the title or what he was doing with it, I’m not sure you could identify it as a riff on Millet’s. The warped nature of Gleeson’s, in every different way, really emphasizes just how much war can alter a person.

Lia
      Participant

All I want to do is make jokes about this, about how each one of us could have our own “Pennywise waiting in the sewer” meme. (Mine would just say “Noah found a kitten!”) The really scary thing is that I could probably name the bait for lots of people on here.

The question remains, what do we give up if we take it? Our unity? Our safety? Will we eventually lose sight of what’s right and wrong? To sum up the information from yesterday, if we have to sacrifice the Mackenzies of the world, are we any better than the OSDM?

Violet
        Participant

If Noah found a kitten, I’d be right there with ya @lilmsfancpants

Megan
        Participant

The really scary thing is that I could probably name the bait for lots of people on here.

Oh man do I really want you to do this @lilmsfancpants.

Violet
      Participant

Exactly, @kevin. This seems to be calling out the fact that many of us have referred to this as a war. Maybe this is showing what the consequences of a war will actually be, and how it will change us.

Chelsea
      Participant

I keep reading this quote over and over. The part that is getting to me the most is the distinction between being “bought” and being “baited”. There’s something so sinister in feeling drawn, lured, manipulated, and of giving a gloss of good to fool a person into taking a bite.

Violet
      Participant

@chelsea It certainly feels like we’re being baited with yesterday’s events.

Bryan Bishop
      Participant

This seems to be calling out the fact that many of us have referred to this as a war. Maybe this is showing what the consequences of a war will actually be, and how it will change us.

Oh damn, @erisbonn, this is great. The full quote = how easy it can be to manipulate people into doing things they’d otherwise consider beyond the pale. The painting = what that actually does to a person.

Kevin
      Participant

@chelsea With the OSDM it goes even further too. They are so, so proficient at creating bait. Looking back at Addison last year; they presented a young woman and let people season the bait to their own liking. They didn’t even need to do a lot of work! As they said, Addison was a mirror they held up to everyone and we did the rest.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar