Temptation

This topic has 41 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by thehazelverse.

• Author
       Nicole Mae
      Participant

“The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful.”

Was just posted on the Lust FB

Anonymous
      Inactive

“Like”

Cristen
      Participant

This is one of those quotes people will pretend to disagree with while silently mouthing “yes.”

Melissa
      Participant

Ya beat me to it (I deleted my post) @maenicole

Interesting that the picture is
      Joseph Chinard’s Laocoon and His Sons

Interesting that a snake would be in this post–snakes, they’re everywhere.

Brad Ruwe
      Participant

Wonder if any among us have had a temptation to go the “Shiny, let’s be bad guys” route with this.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Never thought I’d see an Oscar Wilde quote associated with any of this so that’s fun.

Melissa
      Participant

@thebuz I find the usage of Dorian Gray rather interesting. I won’t spoil the book for anybody that hasn’t read it but basically there’s a character in the book (Lord Henry) that influences Dorian Gray to New Hedonism/sin and corruption. Considering the “sin with perfection” in Lust and obvious power grabs between Sarah and Noah….this can’t be random.

Anonymous
        Inactive

@mkarrett Now that you mention it there are some significant similarities between Dorian Gray and Tension/Lust.

I know what I’m recommending for book club.

Nicole Mae
      Participant

I feel like such a simpleton with all the literary references you all catch!

Chloe
      Participant

@mkarrett – I keep finding it interesting that they use tales that end up going bad for the character to make their system and Lust look good.

In Boy Who Cried Wolf, sure he had the town in the palm of his hand for a while, but they eventually stopped believing him and (depending on the version) he or his sheep were eaten by the wolf.

In Dorian Grey, (don’t read further if you don’t want the book spoiled for you) sure Dorian was able to live a life of hedonistic pleasures, but he eventually grew bored of it and found out that he had sold his soul for the pleasures of the world and for never growing old.

If you always give into temptation, eventually you’ll get bored with it or it’ll come back and bite you.

Melissa
      Participant

@wanda102 that quote is where Lord Henry is speaking to Dorian Gray:

“The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful. It has been said that the great events of the world take place in the brain. It is in the brain, and the brain only, that the great sins of the world take place also. You, Mr. Gray, you yourself, with your rose-red youth and your rose-white boyhood, you have had passions that have made you afraid, thoughts that have filled you with terror, day-dreams and sleeping dreams whose mere memory might stain your cheek with shame — ”

So basically Lord Henry is saying “yo Dorian you’re not all that innocent. Satisfy your desires dude”. I can’t help but look back at Lust telling us to “sin with perfection” like Lord Henry telling Dorian Gray to do the same.

Melissa
      Participant

@chloe I know, right? So is this alluding to what’s to come? Again I ain’t spoiling the book but if you guys have I’m sure you’re shuddering as much as I am right now.

Cristen
      Participant

@mkarrett I’m a fan, and I love this quote. And if any of us are at all that innocent, I think we’re in the wrong place.

Melissa
      Participant

@wanda102 or are we going to be the Lord Henry?

(immediately thinks of sweet Otis)

😮

Megan
      Participant

Is there a Tension/Lust book club?? Can I join via skype?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Again, another quote that I disagree with on a personal level. Then again, Dorian Grey and I are polar opposites.

Jackie
      Participant

also for Dorian Grey, he could have had love save him, but in the end chose superficial and powerful distractions, leading to his soulless destruction.

Jackie
      Participant
       Cristen
      Participant

@theladyj you honor me, madam. ?

Candace
      Participant

Although I’ve never read the actual book, I know the story well. It’s one of my favorites. I can’t honestly say that this quote doesn’t mimic greatly the way that I live my life. I often give in to my temptations for momentary bliss sometimes at great costs. I’m slowly trying to change that so I don’t end up like Mr. Grey but I also don’t understand how not quenching your temptations could make them go away?! Then aren’t you living a dull unfulfilled life?! If you have only one short life to live then why not do everything that your heart desires?? What is the harm in that?

Megan
      Participant

I have not read Dorian Grey…I should but I have a massive summer reading list. Maybe it can find its way in there.

These Facebook quotes they’re posting though are making me feel again like I’m ending up on the outside of this experience. With Tension it was mostly that I didn’t know what scared me and still don’t really know. Here, these quotes make me feel like I simply don’t lust. At least, not after these things. I feel like I need to have someone else step in and tell me when the last time I gave into a temptation was. Or, when the last time I *didn’t* was, more specifically. Because I’m pretty sure I do what I want to do. The times it has come with costs aren’t exactly the same as the examples that others have in mind.

I walked out of our 8 out of 10 this weekend (it’s a 10 hour rehearsal with a 2 hour break). I haven’t done that in….15 years. I thought I’d purged that emotional impulse from my system. But this situation is bad, I’m working without a contract, and for a bunch of reasons I was pushed to my limit and snapped. I guess you could say that was a temptation I gave into, and there will be costs, to my reputation, possibly. The impulsive 2nd trip to Ascension was a temptation I gave into and the cost was my husband being pissed but…now he doesn’t remember it, so…win win, right?

Maybe I’m just super boring. I definitely don’t lust for power. At all. We have an open marriage (within reason) so I don’t need to lust after anyone else, and I don’t, because I *definitely* don’t want that, it’s way too stressful. I only “lust” after enough money to pay off our debt. I wouldn’t know what to do with more. So a lot of this Noah stuff just…it just goes right over my head. Plus, Noah/Sarah definitely doesn’t want me anyway, and I’m not going to waste my energy trying to make someone notice me who has already definitively rejected me. So once again, this experience is a weird place for me to examine myself, wonder why I am the freak I am, and watch others’ strange behavior.

@bcbishop
      has a different theory on my “lust” that I am pondering.

Candace
      Participant

@coryphella I kind of feel the same way. I’m really trying to stay engaged but the corporate ladder and being powerful and rich isn’t enticing me. I too have been asking myself what is it that I truly lust for….? I guess I don’t really know because I also just do whatever I want.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@pandace88 You seem to be lusting after Noah so perhaps you’re looking for a partner in crime?

Candace
      Participant

@thebuz lol I just like his defiant attitude. I think the most appealing option I’ve seen was @genghistwan’s burn this motherfucker down approach. Still weighing things out though. My brain is constantly back and forth. I never know what I want!! Aghh

Megan
      Participant

@pandace88 then maybe we’ll form our own club – the people who already do everything they want? 🙂

And it will probably move away from the corporate ladder thing, undoubtedly into darker things, but I’ve been trying to determine what it is that could be used to entice *me,* and I don’t know what that thing is. Something is motivating people to play, to make choices in this “game,” apply for this assistant job or pick friends or whatever it is. I have no strategy. I have no intent to win anything. I am much more concerned with supporting friends of mine. So what could change that?

Right now if Noah could come and finish grading these projects that would be nice.

Candace
      Participant

I don’t need the system!

Jackie
      Participant
       Candace
      Participant

Omg I’m part of the poster club ? thank you. I am honored. @theladyj by the end of this I want a coffee table book filled with all of these!

Jackie
        Participant

@pandace88, I’m such a fat kid “I want a coffee table book filled with these…” I was like, “OMG me too! I love macaroons!” Haha, you meant the posters. Nice. :3

Candace
      Participant

@theladyj lmfao!!!! Please make a poster for yourself with what u just told me ???

Anonymous
      Inactive

@pandace88 and @coryphella, I am with you both in terms of the lack of lust and trying to stay enticed by this whole thing. I am not aware of anything that I lust for. I don’t lust for power. I don’t lust for sexy times or people. I don’t lust for food. I don’t lust for shiny things outside of glitter (because thinking about glitter makes me smiley). I don’t fashion myself as someone that gives easily into temptation. I applied for the assistant position because it was just another job in my mind. Not because I desire to work with the system, but because it’s just another job.

It’ll be interesting to see if those of us who aren’t inherently lustful people are eventually enticed by the OSDM. As of now, I think they have their work cut out for them.

Brad Ruwe
      Participant

@birdiesrunamok Like hell you don’t lust for food, I feel like our relationship is built on a foundation of ramen hahaha.

Jackie
      Participant

@pandace88
      Just for fun. Just for you.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@nothenrygale I’m cheating on you with ramen. Shush.

Okay. I’ll amend myself. Perhaps a teensy lustful for food. However, I don’t think it impairs my status of life quite like a lust for power or a lust for people does. Lust, in general, has a tendency to ruin people’s lives. My love for ramen will not ruin my life.

Megan
      Participant

I am definitely “enticed” enough to stay, in as much as I can between everything else…which right now includes grading these projects and I appear to be REALLY bad at that. There are very few circumstances under which they will lose me as a participant. I get a lot of self-examination moments out of these things I guess. We are challenges to them, look at it that way. 🙂 You moreso than me. I am, for better or for worse, something of a known quantity to them at this point. If they *like* challenges then yay for us?

Nicole Mae
      Participant

Maybe we’re all just ‘lusting’ to be noticed and feel like we matter in this game? It’s a slow burn to see who will succumb to their lust and put on the show Sarah/Noah/OSDM/Michelle want. How long can they string us along, lusting for their attention or lusting for something to happen? If they’re collecting data again, I’m sure a few of us (myself included) have done some things that are pretty outrageous in lusting to feel heard or be noticed.

Megan
      Participant

I think that’s exactly what a lot of people here are lusting for. I don’t think we’ve had to wait for many to succumb to that lust, we’ve already seen plenty of shows.

But, no, not “all” of us.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Megan.
       Megan
      Participant

No, you know what.
      I *do* lust after one freaking day at this job where I do something right.
      I have a feeling I’m not getting that day until 2021.

thehazelverse
      Participant

I am lusting after some substance. So far all we’ve got’s been fluff.

Megan
      Participant

Oh *that* I highly disagree with. I could write an entire article on the beginning of Lust alone.

Candace
      Participant

@theladyj hahaha yesss u made the poster ? #classic

thehazelverse
      Participant

That’s fair. I keep forgetting about the few in person things we’ve had.

Still… soft balls…

Guess I came in at the narrative arc of Tension where stuff was literally always happening.

Comparison is the thief of joy. I’m wrong on this one.

Viewing 39 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar