Shut the fuck up and eat your (blanks)-ables – Follow Up

This topic has 103 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 7 months ago by Mustafa Said.

• Author
       Maddyxxx
      Participant

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

WHOOO DOGGIE!

Good times.

How much fun was that?!

We all learned a little something something didn’t we?

Awwwwww.

Sometimes the things we carry around, the things that that we think have so much power over us, sometimes they don’t have as much power as we thought do they?

We can also take away their power, not by avoiding them, not by talking them to death, not by asking others to never bring them up, not by creating a fucking safe space that takes away others’ rights to be individuals of their own accord, but by taking them head on, chewing them up bit by nasty bit and swallowing them down.

We get in our own way because the idea of something is worse than the actual thing. We are afraid of the fear, but the fear is just another tool at our disposal. It’s evolution’s little helper, a boost of adrenaline that kicks us in the ass and tells us that we can do the damn thing.

Not only that, but there is also the fact that some of us, some of us even found that the bad thing felt gooooood. Like actually good. Looking at you Mr. Pickles.

Now, how many things did we see all these wonderful jack asses struggle with yesterday and think to ourselves, “THAT?! That is what holds power over you? Why?!” It’s a beautiful lesson actually… Please, please always remember that the people you care about have things that they are going through that may seem normal to you but that are actually big, very real obstacles for them…

… is what Oprah might say.

This guy though? This guy says, that much, much more important than some feel good platitude mother earth bullshit, is to remember that your enemies and opponents may have very normal looking vulnerabilities and weaknesses that you can exploit right out in the open, things that your opponents will never be able to call you out on when you pick at it and weaponize them and, even fucking better, the other people around you guys won’t even realize that you are doing it! It’s a freebie! You can just keep fucking their eye socket, in public, with a congenial, saint-like smile…

That’s living!

Okay, we have all had our laughs you fuckle chucks but it’s time to get real.

What are you really carrying with you?

EVERYONE, every single one of you that participated, look into that camera again and let us know the thing that, for at least the past 10 years, you HATE about yourself… the thing you find disgusting, the thing you might even be afraid to say out loud to yourself.

Let’s find out if you need that too…

You have until 11 p.m. once again.

Megan
      Participant

Jesus fucking christ, are you kidding me?
      That will take all night.

Meghan Mayhem
      Participant

Well, fuck.

Hannah Schenck
      Participant

I’m going to admit it now, I feel VERY uncomfortable doing this. Trying to be optomistic, so bring it on.

Lawrence Meyers
      Participant

I recall a certain interrogation room in a certain warehouse somewhere — where we either were asked this question already, or asked it of someone else. Maybe it was all a dream, but…

We answered then, in front of two strangers.

So we’ve done this already. We can do it again. IT ISN’T ANY DIFFERENT.

I’m with @maddyxxx on this one.

Never in that warehouse? Or maybe it was all a dream? Practice saying it to yourself in front of a mirror. Say it over and over again until it ceases having power over you. Then just do it in front of your phone camera.

We got this.

Brad Ruwe
      Participant

Well Noah, if it wasn’t for an actual good friend of mine pushing me to do this very 5 hing when she found out what the thing I hate is, I’d probably outright say no again. But seeing as this also came from someone I respect, I may just go through with it.

Downside is you happen to pick this task on one of those “double duty” days where I have a day job and a night gig. Not sure how late it’s gonna go but I’ll try to get this in before 11.

Fuck this is gonna be a tough one.

Jackie
      Participant

Early to bed, early to rise, makes a participant…figure out to work, sleep and periscope insecurities.

Megan
      Participant

I don’t think I did this in the warehouse but I’ve done it plenty of times in various inappropriate places.

It’s utterly naive for me to think that there’s any way out of how I feel about myself at this point. I think at some point you’re allowed to stop and say “you know, I’ve been fighting this fight for 20+ years and have gotten nowhere, but at least I live a productive life and have some happiness so let’s move forward and stop trying to fix that shit.” There is no fixing this shit for me. I’ll do the periscope and it will make me and everyone else uncomfortable as fuck and my husband will watch and be like “yeah that’s 1/1000 of what she actually means to say” and then I will go back to work and try to not think about how much I hate myself for another 12 hours. That is literally all that will happen.

Winston Smith
        Participant

@coryphella Maybe the problem isn’t those things that you hate about yourself, but *THAT* you hate yourself in the first place. If you’ve been fighting it for 20+ years, and gotten nowhere, does that mean that it’s an unwinnable fight, or does it mean that your strategy hasn’t been working, and that it’s time to try a new one? You *CAN* find happiness, it’s not an impossibility. You’re never going to wake up, and think you’re perfect exactly the way you are. That’s ok. Life is a struggle against dying. Whatever problems you have in life, you’re not being eaten by lions, and you can shit in a porcelain bowl. Life is pretty good, even the shitty parts.

superstar
      Participant

Ugh. I’m totally ok speaking my insecurities to a stranger in person. But, Periscoping them… definitely uncomfortable. *worried sigh*

Sage
      Participant
       Violet
      Participant

This…this makes me extremely uncomfortable. To say these things out loud, to acknowledge them. But, like @maddyxxx so colorfully pointed out, these are the things that have power over us, and naming them out loud can be the first step to taking away that power. I might cry, but I’m in.

Megan
      Participant

@sfire8 you are awesome. and gorgeous.

Anonymous
      Inactive

1) This makes me uncomfortable

2) This is poorly veiled data mining at its finest

Brad Ruwe
      Participant

@erisbonn It could be the first step in taking away it’s power, but it could also be giving the power it has over you to someone else. Be careful with this and think it through before sharing.

Maddyxxx
      Participant

@coryphella If you truly already believe it won’t help you in any way before you’ve already done it then don’t do it. We don’t waste time around here. If you kind of secretly hope maybe something might come out of it without really sort of giving it your all and taking a meta stance about who and what it means on six different levels of your own interaction as participant and academic but also endless double analysis of …. I can’t. I’m already tired.

Whip. No whip. That simple.

WHIP. You do it, own it, you live in it and make it your fucking bitch. The end.

OR

NO WHIP. Don’t do it, don’t talk about it, silently admit defeat then watch and listen to others, passively.

JUST PLEASE STOP THIS MIDDLE LANE HALF-IN, HALF-OUT BULLSHIT. STOP LIVING IN THIS SPACE WHERE YOU MANIFEST YOUR OWN MEDIOCRITY, HALF HOPE, HALF DEFEAT AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

OWN IT OR DON’T OWN IT.

It is not my responsibility to fix you or make you feel anything if you are unwilling to take control or release it.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Maddyxxx.
      • This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Maddyxxx.
       Chelsea
      Participant

Fuck. Fucking fuck fuck fuck. In hindsight, the tomato juice wasn’t so bad…

Kevin
      Participant

Well that was a blast. You guys are going to have a lot of fun today.

Hope you enjoyed it @maddyxxx, I definitely didn’t. Maybe it does feel better on some level to admit it to people who aren’t myself though. And at the very least I won’t carry around the worry of doing that all day.

Periscope here:
      https://www.periscope.tv/gossettkevin/1jMJgPnNyLwxL

Cara
      Participant

Well, I just woke up to a periscope of a friend I care about sharing a deeply personal and troubling insecurity. What a *fun* task! >:-(

@kevin
      That was poignant and brave of you but I wish you hadn’t been asked to do that. Just know that you don’t have to please anyone but yourself. Your friends will accept you for who you are AS IS.

@maddyxxx
      I hope you’re enjoying this dangerous little game of yours. I’d hate for someone to actually get hurt in this process. I hope you have a really good reason for this…

Megan
      Participant

@maddyxxx – No, it’s not that simple, and that’s not how it fucking works.

I am not asking you to fix me at all. I never once said that.

You do it, own it, you live in it and make it your fucking bitch. The end.

I believe that’s what I just said I did. I am in no fucking way admitting defeat. Coming to a point in life where moving forward and living life becomes more important than fixing one’s self is NOT admitting defeat, it’s growing the fuck up. I don’t want to endlessly wallow in who the fuck am I questions or naval gazing what is my identity bullshit. I don’t care. I would *love* to relax. I would love to not hate myself for everything I’ve done for the past 40 years. It’s not going to happen. I can spend the time and money and effort trying to fix that, or I can move on and make art.

It’s THAT SIMPLE.

Don’t do it, don’t talk about it, silently admit defeat then watch and listen to others, passively.

It’s so adorable that you think I’m passive.
      It’s cute that you make fun of me for enjoying the meta, for being an academic, something that I worked my ass off for – something I don’t actually *have* to be, given that I’m also a professional, normally it’s one or the other, but I’m both. So fuck off.
      And you can think I’m mediocre all you want. You’ve done little to impress me yourself. And while I’m busy hating myself I’m also getting shit done on a level you’d envy.

Is that what “no whip” means to you? Because releasing control is not being passive to me. Stepping out of the “half in half out” whatever you want to call it to the “no whip” side does not mean defeat and passivity to me. I am in control of my life to an extent that it exhausts me. I *dream* of releasing that control and *can’t*. Because if I do, shit falls apart.

Bryan Bishop
      Participant

This was a little more challenging than I think I expected.

Been talking about this particular thing I hate a lot lately – either in therapy, or with friends, or with my wife. Fear of failure –> self-sabotage –> increasingly devalued sense of self worth despite the good things in one’s life –> more fear of failure.

It’s a fucked up loop, but talking about it helps. So does recording it and sharing it. When you lay it out and put it down, it becomes a little less scary.

I’m sure I’ll get pissed at you again soon enough, but for now: thanks, @maddyxxx.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/osf02zyegs7tzuz/confessingforthesystem.mov

UPDATE: Since we’re all spilling, as I post this I’m realizing how much this also ties into a need to be liked / get approval. That’s not so great either. But writing it down here makes it a little more manageable.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Bryan Bishop. Reason: Bonus revelation
       Maddyxxx
      Participant

@maddyxxx good start. I see we have the whip… Fuck me indeed. I like it. As for the rest, can you prove it? Are these beliefs you hold so very tightly to facts?

“I am in control of my life to an extent that it exhausts me.” Can both of those things actually be true at the same time? You tell me.

From here on out let’s make a periscope, do the deed OR, no more talking. For now.

Anonymous
      Inactive
       Nicole Mae
      Participant

I’m traveling for business, so yesterday’s task wasn’t for me, but this task…. This I can do.

Winston Smith
      Participant

@coryphella Let’s say you’re the world’s best plate spinner. You’re fucking great at it, nobody else even comes close. You’re out there on the stage, spinning all those plates, the audience is gasping in amazement. Great, you’re the best in the world at spinning plates. But, does keeping all those plates in the air make you happy? Are you so busy spinning plates that you don’t even have time to appreciate the audience’s enjoyment of your performance?

You think that if you let go of the reins, everything will fall apart around you. Why? The world was spinning before you got here, and it will keep on spinning long after you’re gone. It’s not your responsibility to make it spin, it’s going to do that all by itself. Your responsibility is to enjoy the ride.

I work in IT, my responsibility is to manage the infrastructure that the entire company is built on. All of it rides on my shoulders, it’s a huge responsibility. If it falls apart because I go on vacation, you could read that as me being indispensable, a resource so valuable the company can’t be without it for even a week. But, that’s not actually the truth. The truth is, if the joint collapses because I went on vacation, then I failed at my job. If I can never look away from those spinning plates for even a moment without it all coming crashing down, then I did something wrong. How will I ever make progress on anything else, when 100% of my attention is focused on plates? Life is more than keeping plates spinning.

When you let go of those reins, people are going to make mistakes. They’re going to do things in a way that’s not exactly how you would have done them. You will think this is a problem, but it’s not. A good parent doesn’t control every aspect of their child’s life in fear that the moment they stop, the kid will do something stupid. It’s a kid, it will do stupid things. Your job is not to make them survive, it’s to *teach* them how to survive. You’re not playing them like a video game, trying to reach the “good ending”. You’re trying to teach them how to play the game themselves.

Having control over your own life is a good thing, but needing to control every aspect of your life is just not achievable, or desirable.

superstar
      Participant

@winstonsmith Yes, yes, absolutely yes!

Kyle Bown
      Participant

Alright, @maddyxxx. I did it.

https://www.periscope.tv/KyleBown/1DXxyOZwgRVGM

Someone will have to tell me if it’s good enough. I’m not sure I expressed myself well, and I fear I rambled a lot. So, if it doesn’t feel like enough, someone tell me and I’ll have another go at it.

Whew… that was not easy.

Megan
      Participant

@maddyxxxhttps://www.periscope.tv/w/1yNxamRorrvxj
      Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Megan
      Participant

And it’s coming down in 24 hours.

Jackie
      Participant

@maddyxxx
      https://www.periscope.tv/w/1ypKdlnDVZLKW

Made myself sad before bed. 🙁

Melissa
      Participant

Y’all are making me close to ugly cry. At work. But it’s quickly evident that I’m not alone with my own self issues. Pffffft this is gonna be hard.

Addison
      Participant

@maddyxxx thanks for making me come to terms with this.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1lDGLkeZDoQKm

I’m putting those surfboards up on craigslist tonight.

Andrew Kasch
      Participant

*sigh*

Here’s an awkward Periscope of awkward awkwardness that sounds like a boring therapy session from someone who hates being put on the spot.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bFs1djF4ZUVXeHFMR3JwUVB8MXlvS01wTE5na3B4UVU5RGwtt-MrmZGpcivW-OwtOjY2bqy1rkx5dJH6-Wav

Up yours, Noah.

Kyle Bown
      Participant

I always tell myself “Everyone has their shit.”

It’s one thing to say it to yourself, even to believe. But to hear people reveal their shit, that’s a completely different thing.

So thank you, everyone who has or will go, for showing me, and everyone else, your shit.

Chelsea
      Participant
       Anonymous
      Inactive

I felt like I ended on a downer so here’s a more satisfying conclusion.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bFs30jF3QkVBZEFHekdOalB8MWdxR3ZPTWVBZGdKQrSumXLwVThUQlzob5cOhNd3btxc_uFIHtY2zGXzCoLd

Kristin
      Participant
       Anonymous
      Inactive

Let my tears sustain you.
      Or help you realize that none of us are really alone, whicheves.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1OdJrowreYpxX

George Zuniga
      Participant
       Lauren Bello

Just when I was congratulating myself for successfully staying off-camera for every System challenge…couldn’t dodge this one.

First Periscope ever:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bFtFcjFEWUVYa052bVpHamd8MU93R1dvcGxNUGpHUb4tIwKCyX1kDC8On82juuLeHXt_Ugo4KC441ehV8lp1

Vox Chaotica
      Participant

Well, I just caught up on this – even if I didn’t get into the challenge yesterday, should I film a little something on periscope today?

Chloe
      Participant

@voxchaotica I say go ahead. I’m planning on doing one once I leave work and I haven’t aligned myself with the System at all, let alone do any of the challenges. Do it if you feel comfortable doing it and if you think it’ll help you emotionally in the long run.

Maddyxxx
      Participant

I’m up.

Chelsea
      Participant

@maddyxxx Thank you for this. Really, thank you.

Shaun
      Participant

Wow @maddyxxx that was amazing..

Here’s mine.. super short and not nearly as heavy as Noah’s: https://www.periscope.tv/w/1yNGamRjgqNGj

Winston Smith
      Participant

@maddyxxx Damn, dude…that was genuine. Why do you pretend to enjoy the man you are? For who’s benefit are you pretending? Why not be the man you would enjoy being?

Kevin
      Participant

Here’s what should be a mostly accurate transcription of Noah’s video:

“Why do hate myself? I don’t. I stopped feeling so long ago that I don’t remember. So now I have to push other people into feeling. I have to manipulate them. For the greater good of course. But I don’t feel love, I don’t know that I ever have. Either giving or receiving love. I couldn’t tell you what that is. And I know that I will never be the man other people would like me to be. I know that I at least pretend to enjoy the man that I am…because I’m fucking great at it. There have been many terrible things that I have either been indirectly or directly responsible for. I don’t even know if I feel human any more. But, doesn’t mean that I’m going to stop trying.”

Hannah Schenck
      Participant

@maddyxxx It’s good to see this side of you: raw and vulnerable. I’ll be periscoping tonight just as raw and vulnerable… and hopefully just as confident as you were

Meghan Mayhem
      Participant

Dear @maddyxxx
      The man I want you to be is someone that continues to try being human even if you fail. Someone that understands your darkness but tries in spite of that.
      That’s all.

My video will come tonight.

superstar
      Participant

Way to own it, @maddyxxx. Thank you for this.

Sean

Armor yourself in your weaknesses. This is a lesson I can get behind. Will slap something up after work

Cristen
      Participant

@maddyxxx really pulling those strings today. Let me tell you all how garbage I feel sometimes. Let’s do it together.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bFtlXDF4ZUVXeEpaTHFBUVB8MURYeHlPWkJYcExHTf5CVZTbXeuUsc0Mmzg6XLjptXL4LTv4wp1SzcHHmOyq

Brad Ruwe
      Participant

Alright, fuck it. @maddyxxx you were right in one regard to my earlier task. I do have to deal with a lot of shame built up over my lifetime.

https://www.periscope.tv/NotHenryGale/1lPJqwzQRjYKb

Cristen
      Participant

I wanted to throw in…and I don’t know if it’ll make sense really
      This is about all of us. The One, we know it has been. And our strength comes through mutual understanding of each other’s insecurities and filling in the gaps where one persons strength can bolster another’s weakness. If that’s the case, then despite our differences I think we’re all going to end up in the center of this storm and I intend to meet everyone in the middle rather than redrawing battle lines in a war that we have always been on the same side of.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I said this in Slack but will repeat here:

We just showed our own weakness, the OSDM is being lured into a false sense of security. Noah is giving us Agency over all this shit. Building his army of emotionally fucked up but strong people.

If they come at our weakness now who gives a crap. We already know about it. And knowing where your weak points are is how you plan to defend against offenders.

We got this, man. We got this by the ass.

Chloe
      Participant

Well I feel better and somewhat worse at the same time after that, but here’s mine:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bFtzLTFYSmpra2RkTUx3akx8MW1yeG1temRsZXF4eXkNTE4Ts6KIqpzCHvOjM__vi89c9ENkxyED6-jHQlA5

Candace
      Participant
       Cody
      Participant

Made on but don’t know how to link.

superstar
      Participant

Here ya go, Noah.
      Owning It for The System

Cody
      Participant
       Andrew Kasch
      Participant

@maddyxxx You might feel like you’re not human anymore, but your actions speak volumes.

Underneath every troubled person who declares that they’re “damaged” is at least a spark of humanity. And I think you have more than you let on.

Mustafa Said
      Participant

Well, here we go. Hope you enjoy it, @maddyxxx.

Lukas L
      Participant
       Robert Fuller
      Participant
       Kortney
      Participant

Mine! Again, pretty easy for me since I’m an open book.

Talking about sex!

Lawrence Meyers
      Participant
       Robert Fuller
      Participant

This task reminds me of one of my favorite movie quotes, which I often draw inspiration from. It’s from Phoebe in Wonderland:

“At a certain point in your life, probably when too much of it has gone by, you will open your eyes and see yourself for who you are, especially for everything that made you so different from all the awful normals. And you will say to yourself, ‘But I am this person.’ And in that statement, that correction, there will be a kind of love.”

Maranda
      Participant

I’m not in a place where I can periscope today so a text post will have to do. I’ll preface this by saying I haven’t watched anyone’s responses yet, so this is me, 100%. Here goes…

I’m selfish. I hate that I have to remind myself to think about others sometimes, and that I’m not as attuned to what they feel and think as I could be. I hate that I’m not more generous to those in need, and as a Christian, that makes me a hypocrite. Sometimes I listen to others when they’re talking and only pretend to care. I’m insecure about my own accomplishments so that comes out as bragging or showing off to get validation from people around me.

I’m afraid of failure. In school, I was perfect. Top grades, model student, but of course the world doesn’t work like that. I miss out on opportunities because I don’t want to screw it up. I’ve never had a proper significant other, partially because I can’t in good faith enter into a relationship that I’m assuming will end with a breakup, and then all that wasted time and emotional baggage and then where would I be? I don’t want to be seen as “lesser” in the view of others when I do mess up, but that’s also because I’m projecting; I’m very hard on myself and hold myself to (one could say unreasonably) high standards, and am judgmental when they don’t live up to those standards.

In summary, I’m not as good of a person as I can be.

Twan Intarathuch
      Participant

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bFumRjY1NzkzOTh8MWxEeExrZUVWeVBKbfkSqZCH9kBagnx1FdLNyRlGr-j_0h-sVFxBE8KcK-nK

Not really sure what to say except I hope everyone that hates themselves finds some comfort in the fact you’re not alone here.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Now that I’ve embarrassed myself by crying and emoting and stuff…here…

https://www.periscope.tv/sarahmusnicky/1vOxwOPQnobxB

Sean

https://goo.gl/photos/MLZZQK2D1Vg2TnTA7

I over analyzed this so much I had to do a repeat. How fucked is that

Also to clarify, this was on Periscope. Hannah and Megan and a couple of others can vouch for that. My dumb ass just thought that selecting “broadcast to Tension group” meant it would invite everyone in that group rather than making it impossible to extract a link. So this is the rip from the broadcast

Megan
      Participant

https://www.periscope.tv/meganreilly/1LyGBElmNVoKN?

https://www.periscope.tv/meganreilly/1dRKZnVypBAKB?

Me, at the absolute height of all my drunken powers.
      These will be gone in 24 hours so enjoy while they last.

Julie R Goldstein
      Participant

Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck

https://www.periscope.tv/JulieRei/1dRKZnVyvDmKB

Hannah Schenck
      Participant
       Meghan Mayhem
      Participant
       Brian E
      Participant

Well having the 11pm deadline made this doable. I shared something I’ve told almost no one about, and it’s funny how saying it outloud gives a different perspective.

Link

Violet
      Participant

I did the thing

first ever periscope…jfc!

Tim Redman
      Participant
       Brian E
      Participant

After I made my video, I thought to myself that was a lot easier then I though, I realized I forgot a very important final step.

Part 2
      Link

Cassandra
      Participant
       Winston Smith
      Participant
       Drew Huntley
      Participant

I commend those of you facing inward today. It just didn’t feel right to finish out the day without doing one as well.

The system aside, I can attest to real power that speaking publicly of your personal truths can have. However this is an unconventional venue for it.
      It’s uncomfortable, but the more you uncomfortably talk about it the more you learn to be comfortable with its existence. Once that power is taken down you can get on with your life.

It will still be there, but now you coexist with it.

https://youtu.be/SxOnW_i0PPY

Kevin Hsu
      Participant

I worry so many of the things that have been mentioned today; how I look, what I say, how people must perceive me, whether I am living up to expectations, whether I am being understood. But I also worry about whether or not I’m broken.

One thing that I don’t like to tell people is that I used to have anger issues. I didn’t that version of me so I started to bottle up that emotion; not recommend because pressure builds and it eventually explodes. There were many fist shaped holes in the drywall. Trying to fix myself again I think fucked something up and somehow narrowed my emotional range. I don’t get extremely happy or sad. I didn’t cry at my mom’s funeral. I can’t even say that that I hate this about myself because that’s too strong of a word. I dislike my limited emotions.

So…my phone doesn’t like Periscope and makes broadcasts with no audio. I wrote my peace above and you can watch my lips move and my general awkwardness in the link below.
      https://www.pscp.tv/w/bFvixTF3QkVBZEdxRHFMalB8MU9kS3Jvd1FhTFBHWJlF1-RMFx9A0Ab-S1wmAAnsZzjr4tbP410lpUI6s3ZE

Tiffany
      Participant

I did complete this task about thirty minutes ago but Youtube is struggling to upload it. Will post the link momentarily. Apologies for the delay.

Anonymous
      Inactive
       Tiffany
      Participant

This is the link:

I really appreciated this task. I very much enjoyed learning more about everyone. I’ll share more detailed responses shortly. Thank you for giving us this opportunity Noah, and more importantly thank you to The Powers That Be for everything you do.

Brad Ruwe
      Participant

Now that I’ve seen @mamatato’s video and bawled my eyes out with her, I think it’s time for me to get to bed. I’ll catch up with everyone else’s videos tomorrow. Too many tears shed today between this and the death of a friend.

Lawrence Meyers
      Participant

I’ve been scrambling to catch up on everyone’s videos and won’t get to all of them. But I want to say that most have moved me to tears, and I feel just very grateful to know all of you. After years of bullshit Hollywood “friendships” it is refreshing and humbling to see the inside of REAL people, of REAL friends.

You all did great!!!!!!!

Tiffany
      Participant

So for those of you that don’t know me, I was an original Tension participant. I haven’t been too active on the Lust forums, but I found this particular activity to be very inspiring and thought-provoking. I would like to get to know more of you, so I typed up some responses to the posts today. Please don’t take offense to any variations in length or topics I chose, I literally just wrote straight from the heart. If you don’t feel like responding or don’t want to get to know me, that’s totally okay. I just wanted to express my appreciation for everything that you guys shared. Also this is about to get very TLDR, so I’m sorry about that.

@sfire8
      -I very much respect you for going first. That was a pretty damn brave thing to do, and I feel like your spirit in the video was very genuine.

@kevin
      -For someone who hates sharing personal stuff about himself, you did a damn good job.

@bryan
      -I very much appreciated your video. I felt like it was very honest and well thought out, very eloquent overall, and I look forward to getting to know you better throughout this process.
      @thebuz -I didn’t know you jerked off while vacuuming. Cool combo dude 😛 Even with the serious nature, your videos definitely made me crack up, a much needed laugh today.

@bruinbown
      -I really appreciate you sharing this, I hope when I see you at an event I’ll be brave enough to come up to you, even if you seem aloof lol. I’m super socially awkward but you seem like a really cool guy.

@coryphella
      -If you feel like you’re “weird”, then I think you’re surrounded by the right group of people. Pretty sure we’re all weirdos here. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, if it makes us who we are.

@theladyj
      -Although I obviously never knew your grandmother, I’m sure she valued other traits besides your career or your education. There are so many other amazing qualities that you have to offer as a person, and I’m certain she would still think the moon and stars of you for all of those things that make you who you are. Your paycheck and your current certificates are only temporary, but who you are fundamentally is much more valuable.

@addisonborn
      -In your video, you referenced specific items and exactly what they meant to you. You were able to spot them without even searching. It is my understanding that hoarders don’t feel that in most cases, that generally they want to keep the stuff just to have stuff, or out of deep-seeded control issues. Though you may not be a minimalist, I don’t think you should feel any shame for the way that you are.

@kasch
      -“At least we get to do this shit with our clothes on”-Fucking LOL! I related to a lot of what you had to say. I don’t know you well yet, but I think I’m starting to get why you and Buz are besties.

@chelsea
      – YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH ABOUT TOMATO JUICE. Just kidding. I love you. I saw your video and am extremely proud of you. You’re doing great. Can’t wait to see you this weekend <3

@creepsociety
      -Your video actually really helped me with a lot of things I hate about myself (that I didn’t include in my video because I was trying to choose just one). I definitely get the feelings of being a people pleaser, caring more about the welfare of others than yourself. I’m really excited to see you in two weeks and talk more about this. I love you.
      @kipsie -I don’t know you, but for the record I would love to hang out with you. I am also socially awkward and totally introverted at times, but the people I’ve met through this have really helped me. I hope this process does the same for you.

@ruck
      -I actually found your confession to be exceptionally fascinating. Although you use your drive in a self-destructive manner, I heard you describing something very similar to straight burning passion. If you listen to some of the most successful people in history, they described doing what they loved to the point of recklessness as well. If there’s a way to spin that drive into success, I know you can find it.

@daela
      -The real you is beautiful, and I wish you’d let more people in. I have no other motive to spend time with you than what a wonderful person and friend you are. I just find you to have an incredibly good heart, unbelievable intelligence, and an abundance of kindness. You HAVE changed, you are more out of your shell now than the day we first began talking. Even if you can’t see it in your day to day life, I see it. Thank you for being the first person to visit me when I was in the hospital. Thank you for always offering me your home when I needed a place to stay. Thank you for helping me to understand how real friends are supposed to treat you.

@maddyxxx
      -Are you trying to succeed or are you trying to feel human? Why are you so afraid of being bad at something? How do you define success?

@shaun
      -I actually naturally avoid risk in a lot of situations, and I have found having people you love who are more adventurous really helps. Sean has helped me explore new foods and try different activities that I probably would’ve been too afraid to try independently. Going through Ascension also helped break me out of my comfort zone. Can’t wait to see what events Lust will provide for us this year. Hope to see you there.

@wanda102
      – I think to some extent caring about whether or not people like you is normal, but the wanting to be right thing could make you less approachable. If I were in that position, I think I’d try to consider which I valued more in a situation. I hate giving up my pride and admitting I was wrong, but I care more about the person I’m arguing with than winning the argument, you know?

@nothenrygale
      -I hope immersive theater as a whole helps you feel less shame about the things that excite you.

@chloe
      -I don’t think you’re boring at all. I found your response relatable and I’d actually like to get to know you better. I’m really glad you’re a part of this, and I hope we meet when I come up to LA.

@pandace88
      -I know we’ve never met, but I want you to know that I struggled making friends with most women for many years, and participating in Tension and Lust really helped me out with that. I know you said you don’t necessarily need to hear it because this is your own internal thing, but you are worth so much more than perhaps others have given you credit for.

@superstar
      -I felt like what you said was really brave. There’s a certain warmth about you that I appreciate, and I hope we get to meet at an event soon.

@sovereignskies
      -I don’t think it’s about the number of friends you have, but the quality of the company you keep. Most people I know have less friends now than they did when they were younger, and most of them seem happier dealing with less bullshit.

@mumumusings
      -I feel like one day you will get to that point where you stop caring what people think (at least to a certain degree) and I swear it’ll be so effing liberating. I really appreciated learning a little more about you and I still can’t wait for you to come to LA one day!!!

@remrelganaps
      -I think everyone on some level struggles with being themselves at a point in their lives. I feel like it dissipates with age and with the right company in a lot of cases, I hope that happens for you as well.

@kortneydarling
      -I’m not sure what the basis of this discovery is, but I will say that I know a lot of women who didn’t experience that at all until their thirties, and most of them did so independently, not with a partner. If it’s not something you want, I totally get that, but if it is, I don’t think you should give up all hope just yet.

@larry
      -What do you define as the ultimate win? What about the ultimate loss?

@izryn
      -I think everyone feels like they have room for improvement. The fact that you recognize it is the first half of the battle.

@genghistwan
      -I don’t think you should punish yourself for grieving. Grieving is a natural part of life, and I completely understand holding on to memories, regardless of how painful they are, because it’s all you have left. I hope you can find a way to stop being so hard on yourself.
      @mamatato -I’m going to private message you, but I thought your video was amazing. Definitely the most courageous thing I’ve seen in a long while.

@thegilded
      -I know you question your worth, but you do a phenomenal job at being my boyfriend. You make me happier than I ever knew I could be. I never thought I’d get to wake up every day thankful for who I was with, and then you happened. I hope I can be responsible for some of your rare excited feelings in our future too.

@julierei
      -I really appreciated how expressive you were, it felt so human and real. Obviously you don’t only go for what’s safe and easy, because you’re doing Lust, which is certainly adventurous. I’m sure this will help bring you out of your box, and live in the moment.

@shankfx22
      -My response to this video goes so much deeper than this paragraph, which we will handle over PM. But for the record you are NOT fucking worthless, and if I ever hear you say that I will drive all the way to LA and spank you. Again. Don’t you make me come up there young lady. Seriously though, I love you. You are such a beautiful soul.

@meghanmayhem
      -I love your personality. Regardless of how old you get, I will still find you hilarious, intelligent, and fun to talk to. And for the record, I actually think you’re even more beautiful without make-up. Seriously.

@mistere
      -I have obviously never seen your feet, but for the record I never noticed anything different about the way you walked or stood. I think your value goes far beyond just the physical to be honest.

@erisbonn
      -Okay, so this is a strange way of looking at it but it always helped me. “Fear is good. It means you have something to lose”. So I think being afraid of being yourself means that you really haven’t lost who you are, it’s still there. You just have to find it again so you can share it with the right people. I hope Lust helps somehow.

@timsmyname
      -One, your dog is adorable. What was the art form that you gave up for a different career? I am curious.

@cass
      -I found your video particularly endearing. I can relate to how you act towards others, I am the kind of person that apologizes when other people run into me. I also am a big note taker, I literally write notes before telling someone how I’m feeling or confronting them. I would love to meet you someday.

@winstonsmith
      -I felt that your comments on other posts were quite insightful and I thought your video was refreshingly blunt.

@wintermute
      -I found your confession about addiction to be interesting. Have you ever found a positive addiction? Something that’s “good” for you that you just enjoy too much? I ask because I’ve always wondered if it’s possible for me to replace one for the other, or if the addiction exists based on the fact that it’s considered to be “bad” by society. I’d enjoy some perspective on it. On a side note, you have a very cute cat.

@lazysmartperson
      -I find you kind of awesome 🙂 I look forward to meeting you at a Lust event. I’d really like to be your friend, which I know sounds weirdly socially awkward and cheesy, but I am both of those things so fuck it. Thanks for sharing, even though the audio didn’t quite work.

@shinobi
      -While I have always believed you are pretty stellar (and still do of course) I hope you don’t take offense when I say I’m not sure I understood your response. He didn’t ask you for regrets or things you’re sorry for, he asked you for something you hate about yourself. While hate is a strong word so I get the objections to it, the feeling of disliking something about yourself is pretty human. If we’re being honest here, I’d be really shocked if there wasn’t a single thing about you that you felt you could do better (again not because you’re not great, but because literally no one is perfect). I hope you don’t find this too rude, because I do find your commentary and company delightful, I just feel like you didn’t really answer the question. Still, I hope future exercises work out better for you.

And last but not least, I wanted to give a little shout out to @111error who wasn’t a part of this for obvious reasons. I just want you to know I love you very much. Thank you for always being there for me.

Twan Intarathuch
      Participant

@tiffany223
      “I don’t think you should punish yourself for grieving. Grieving is a natural part of life, and I completely understand holding on to memories, regardless of how painful they are, because it’s all you have left. I hope you can find a way to stop being so hard on yourself.”

Thank you for your kind words. I feel like your comment to me can applied to your own situation too. Let yourself grieve and cry. It’s funny how we are so very compassionate to others and so very hard on ourselves. I would never chastise someone for grieving and being emotional, but it’s something I’ve done repeatedly to myself over the past few weeks.

Also kudos for responding to everyone’s video.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yesterday was pretty rough after posting that video; I was pretty much one big exposed nerve all day.
      Big squishy hugs to all who split their butts on camera.

View post on imgur.com

Andrew Kasch
      Participant

Epic response @tiffany223! Thank you!

Sage
      Participant

@tiffany223, thank you for your response. And thank you for your video, you seem like a truly caring person who is deep and real and a gentle kind soul.

Feeling detached from emotion and not being able to express my true self is something I feel too. You’re not alone.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Sage.
       Lauren Bello

@tiffany223 Only you would take the time to write personal responses to everyone. You always make people feel special. Love your beautiful soul. <3

Brad Ruwe
      Participant

Seriously @tiffany223, thank you for responding to everyone. And yes, immersive theater absolutely has been helping me learn to enjoy certain things and subject matter that I enjoy without shame. Noah still rubs me the wrong way, but I am learning from him.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@tiffany223 I’d rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. You are tremendous for writing something personal for everyone.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@tiffany223 Thank you for taking the time to respond to everyone. I may be a bit anti-social for the next 48 hours but I am down to privately chat. <3

Hannah Schenck
      Participant

@tiffany223 You make my heart grow for you every time we speak. And this… THIS was so giving and thougtful of you for everyone. We always have the best talks in PM anyways ? Loving you and letting you know that I feel very honored and special to have met you, and I value and cherish our talks ❤️❤️

Cassandra
      Participant

@tiffany223 and yes, thank you, Tiffany! That was so sweet of you ? I would love to meet you in person as well. And I didn’t include it but yes I do apologize when people bump into me (or did, before the System changed me), so you were right on the money.

Shaun
      Participant

@tiffany223 that’s really awesome you watched and responded to everyone’s video. Thank you for that.

For Noah and everyone else here are my 10 seconds: https://www.periscope.tv/w/1LyGBElEgwYKN

superstar
      Participant

@tiffany223 I’m late to the party on this, but THANK YOU for your amazingly kind words! I hope we can meet in person soon so I can give you a truly epic hug <3

Mustafa Said
      Participant

Figured I’d just write mine down.

I’m going to do what makes me happy.

Think that’s about 10 seconds worth of words.

Viewing 100 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar