OOG: How Much Do You Share in Immersive Experiences?

This topic has 22 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 11 months ago by Andrew Kasch.

• Author
       Anonymous
      Inactive

I’m fairly new to immersive experiences. My first long term one was Have You Seen Jake. One of the things that I’ve always found to be a struggle is how much to share with the creators in order to facilitate a more well-rounded experience. I’m fairly cognizant of how my own personal experiences can come across and have been trained throughout the years to just keep these experiences to myself.

However, knowing that the best experiences in these things typically involve sharing personal information, I ask you guys this: “How much do you share of yourself in immersive experiences like The Lust Experience, Tension Experience, etc?”

Candace
      Participant

I share everything! If they want to know and sometimes even if they don’t I give all of me. That’s how I am all the time though..I’m an open book and I never have a problem with that kind of stuff. I have no secrets.

Jackie
      Participant

I LOVE telling stories. So I tell all the weird parts: “WAIT YOU GOT MEAT RUBBED ON YOU AND TOLD YOU YOUR LOVED ONES WERE GOING TO DIE!?” Yes. Usually that ends the conversation, however.

Maranda
      Participant

I want to share enough to give the creators material to work with in building my part of the story (should I get one) and making the experience better, but I need to be careful to share that only though safe channels. Can’t have regular people with less than noble intentions having easy access to my personal information.

Jackie
      Participant

It’s all theater! Be an open book (script!)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Jackie.
       Anonymous
      Inactive

@theladyj I started a new job the morning after attending Ascension for the first time. During the mandatory noob introductory period, I introduced myself with “Hi, I’m Crystal. I’m a retired roller derby skater and I joined a cult last night.”

HR was not prepared.

Megan
      Participant

With Tension/Lust, I share as much as I can. My social media accounts and public contact info are VERY public online, as is my husband’s, and have been for years, so I know I’m accessible. What I am looking for in this…I can only get if I allow myself to be vulnerable and honest, if it’s even possible, so not allowing them in would defeat the purpose. I have one social media account that’s much more difficult to find and so far no one in Tension/Lust has it.

When I filled out the Tension questionnaire last year I actually spent a long time thinking about it, because there was some information in there that I thought I shouldn’t share. And then I just decided to jump in completely. This is a thing I’ve been looking for for a long time and I decided that I wasn’t going to half-heartedly do it.

The other immersives that I attend aren’t ones like Tension where I’m required to share my social media profiles in advance. They’re ticketed events that I attend. I’m definitely present and emotionally honest while there but this is the first and only time I’ve given this much of myself. I started to with an ARG I was helping a theater company beta test a few weeks ago but I had to back out of that due to time constraints.

Jackie
      Participant

on the reverse, like me sharing to a creative force, I go all in. The In Person Tension questionnaire asked ‘Do you have fingerprints on file with any Federal Offices’, I marked yes, because it’s true for my job.They can’t get me fired and they can’t get me for-real killed, so I don’t see the harm in sharing information with them.
      I don’t have feelings I protect or events that are off limits, because I am 50% of my experience in these things, why would I short change myself? What are they going to tell me that I don’t already know? “Jackie you are a fuck.” Indeed, yes, I am. Lets have an adventure.

On the outside though, unless they too are into this weird shit, not a single soul understands. That’s why the forums are rad.

Megan
      Participant

@theladyj – they (Tension) absolutely can get me fired. 🙂 I trust them not to.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Megan.
       scot
      Participant

If I had it to attend, 100%. Just no opportunities close or even not to far.

Daniel
      Participant

I guess I tend to give less info then I would like to. I try to give enough so that I can be truly affected but I also don’t really open up often. I tend to be wayyyy more open when being in an immersive space in person though so I’m still angerey over not doing ascension last year

Brad Ruwe
      Participant

I’m pretty much an open book with this stuff. I was honest with my responses in Ascension in the processing room. Even when they started asking personal questions. The more you put in, the more you get out of it.

Jackie
      Participant

@kipsie
      Haha, in your jacket at work is like, “Cultist-Keep all Goats blood and Party-punch making responsibilities away from this team member.”

@coryphella

That would be the epitome of shit-bullshitery-fuck-wizardery, to get someone independently fired. But honestly, Like what could anyone say: “So, we here you rub leaves on your genitals and howl at the moon in your off time. We’re a strictly 9-5, non genital-leaf-rubbing, non-howling organization.” It’d be akin to, So you’re a Renn Faire nerd. Get out.

Megan
      Participant

@theladyj – oh it absolutely would be – but remember when this started, with that questionnaire (I started April 6 last year), we had no idea who was behind it. It could have been anyone that we were trusting all that info to, blindly. And I remember at one point they briefly threatened to release @rizzzoooooo’s questionnaire to the public, and thinking holymotherfuckingSHIT.

Michael Rizzo
      Participant

Hahaha and hahah @coryphella that was pretty insane, I remember the phone call ended and then they called back with just a simple “Also your questionair and all contact info will be released immediately, have a great day”

That was pretty stressful lmao

Megan
      Participant

@rizzzoooooo – LOL I missed the part where they CALLED BACK to tell you that!! Yeah I remember everyone freaking the fuck out. 🙂

Tom Hite
      Participant

Short answer: as much as you feel safe sharing.

Long answer: Every game is a game of information. The thing about sharing memories and interpretations of events from our perspective is that it forces us to narrativize them into a form that is consumable to someone who wasn’t there – this is extremely valuable, and one of the things that makes the experience most meaningful. We’re forced to negotiate our selves, and try to make sense of what effect certain pieces of information have on how we are perceived by others. In most online communities, there is safety in knowing that you have control over when and where you might encounter the people with whom you interact “IRL,” and you can thus prepare a barrier for interaction… but if we learned anything from Tension, it’s that part of the game is that our barriers are always permeable, and our sense of control is an illusion. So, the best thing you can do is just keep track of what you share and with whom, as this will lead to those inimitable moments when you encounter a reflection of yourself that you never communicated, and the lines of IG/OOG become blurred. But surely, if you try and explain it, no one will believe you: and that’s when you will know the real game has begun…

Jackie
      Participant

@prufrock5150
      *Dramatic music plays at the end of their post*

Anonymous
      Inactive

@prufrock5150 that gopher rodent thing gave me so much life.

Carl Webb
      Participant

Given the number of immersive experiences that want intrusive secrets, I’m wondering if there should be a standard format for submitting them, just like groups of colleges get together and have common standard applications. This will revolutionize everything!

Anonymous
      Inactive

@llamawithhat If they did that, it would make life so much easier. Ha ha.

Andrew Kasch
      Participant

My rule of thumb is SHARE EVERYTHING unless specifically stated not to.

During Tension, I sat on a piece of information that I was given. I spent a month trying to figure out just what the hell to do with it, only to figure out it triggered another character in game by making it public.

So, yeah, totally transparency is generally encouraged around here.

Viewing 21 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar