On how to play "The Game"

This topic has 20 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Anonymous.

• Author
       Sean

I’ve been really hesitant to write a thread like this but after our investigations in Lust I feel that we may need to talk about this. I truly don’t want this to sound condescending or trying to lecture people on whether or not the way they channel their love is right or wrong but we as a community need to talk about this. Let’s talk for a moment about how to Play

Lust has a major ARG component that plays with the 4th wall, and the rules and restrictions that we believe certain experiences can have. However, we must understand that ARG’s have certain rules to limit the damage that we do to people in the real world. To that end, the only real and hard rule in ARG is the following:

We should never harm, bother, or even inconvenience those in the Real World who are uninvolved with us

Let us briefly consider something from both Tension and Lust: We have never needed to decipher out a phone number, location, or email in order to proceed. We’ve needed to find IP address, hidden messages, and things of that sort but when it comes to things that might lead to bothering someone outside of our world, we have always been given the target entirely. The phone number, location, etc, may be hidden, but once we find it we never need to assemble it or guess as to whether or not it is correct. When we find it, it is obvious that we found it.

Remember from Tension, the number for consultations was written, completely, on the poster. Remember from Lust, the Sinclair’s phone number is written in Sarah’s emails. Remember from both that every single location we’ve ever expected to attend was explicitly given to us, whether by actual address or Periscope plotting out location.

We have a great deal of freedom in many puzzles. We can visit sites with no repercussions. We can play with numbers or look at profiles and social media accounts. However, any time there is a possibility that we might bother someone in the real world we, as players of The Game, must ask ourselves “Am I REALLY FUCKING sure that this person I’m going to contact, place I’m going to go, or thing I’m going to occupy is involved?

I don’t want to limit people’s love for Lust or lecture them on what is right or not but we have to start making more of an effort to be conscientious of the Real World.

Lenize
      Participant

So as a serious question, do you “know” they deleted the thread because of the real world spillover, and all the other things are just coincidental, or is that just an educated guess based on how things happened in tension

It just seems really suspect that it got deleted just when @kasch mentioned the unsolved tension clue and while @bcbishop is distracting us with a very cute puppy that you just can’t help getting introspective about.

Melissa
      Participant

@thegilded I think this is an important issue to talk about regardless of today’s events. Thank you so much for putting the issue up on the table.

Sean

@lenize – I don’t know at all actually, but the point needs to be made regardless of whether or not it was the reason for the closure. We’ve overstepped our boundaries at least twice in the past month and that’s more the reason I wanted to talk about rather than the topic closure

Chris
      Participant

@lenize I can’t believe that they would delete the whole thread just because one of those random number sequences happened to be a real LA number. I agree completely with @thegilded, we have to keep things in perspective and understand that while surprises from a variety of platforms is an element to this experience, we have to have the ability to reflect and maintain civility in recognizing mechanics and scope so that we don’t become obnoxious to those that are not involved. That being said, this particular instance feels very fishy, given all that happened around it.

Lenize
      Participant

@thegilded cool, was just wondering, and I agree with all your points!

I remember from Tension how things spilled over sometimes from over eagerness, and you don’t want to involve people who are not involving themselves.

That being said, @macbethinabathtub I would lean to this specific thread closure timing being very suspicious!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Lenize.
       Brian E
      Participant

@thegilded

Thanks for writing this. Although I was involved in Tension I stayed off the forums, didn’t understand much, and mostly lurked. Things happen really fast around here, and having a better understanding how codes and ciphers worked in Tension is definitely helpful moving into LUST.

Was deleting an entire thread common during Tension?

Lia
      Participant

@thegilded Yes. All of this. I feel very bad for “Phil.”
      But I’m also keeping those dates circled in my calendar…

Megan
      Participant

I am really, really sorry if this was my fault. I feel like total shit for it.

Sean

@coryphella I absolutely don’t fault you for it, and I really don’t want this to be targeted. Your dedication is impressive, and I love the effort you always put into this, but we as a community rather than you specifically need to work on this

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Sean. Reason: Don't want this to be targeted. Don't
       Megan
      Participant

Well, thanks, but I ended what was otherwise a really awesome puzzle, so, that kind of sucks.

Andrew Kasch
      Participant

A funny side story: I did an interactive escape room across Anaheim a week ago and ended up tearing apart the inside of some poor guy’s trailer because I thought a clue was inside. He was surprisingly cool with it.

Megan
      Participant

A funni(ish?) side story: after that whole Kansas City debacle that got me on Steve Peters’ podcast last year, Andrea Philips has decided that she is now my ethics conscience, because I have none when it comes to this stuff.

Masomoment
      Participant

I’m happy this got posted. I’m still trying to catch up and when I saw how things were headed I did have an ummm moment and needed to think about it.

I’m still trying to find all the different periscopes and stuff on this one.

Michelle
      Participant

Speaking of periscopes, is the ones on the app, all of them or have some been deleted?

Rebecca Horist
      Participant

wait, someone posted a number? totally lost here

Anonymous
      Inactive

I feel like I have the opposite problem…. Being on a completely different continent and wishing I could be more involved. Plus everything seems to happen on periscope or the crazy drama happens when I’m asleep. Really struggling to actually stay up to date with everything that is happening or understand the bits and pieces of information on the forums with little context.

Maranda
      Participant

@weaslette1233 I know exactly how you feel, since I’m also on a different continent. On the plus side it’s given me a reason to wake up early so I don’t get left behind, haha. The weekly recap thread on the Lust subreddit really help when you do get hopelessly outpaced though.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I was even apparently “not eliminated” but not chosen either by Sinclair. But given the time zone and location difference I doubt I’ll be given any opportunities now that they know where I’m from which is a bit frustrating.

Maranda
      Participant

On the topic of long-distance LUSTing, I’d like to say that there’s hope! You never know when and if a person of interest to the goings-on happens to be in your area. I can say with some confidence, though, that unless you’re active on the forums and contributing to the community, that chance will shrink to nothing.

Personally, given my super rural island location, I’m not expecting to have in-person events of any sort. IMHO, it’s best not to jump into things like this expecting anything for yourself, but rather enjoy contributing to the story for its own sake.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks for the advice! 🙂 I heard about Tension pretty late into it, hoping to keep better track of the plot as it emerges for Lust

Viewing 20 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar