Is Lust Facebook the clue to what is "real" and what is "fiction"?

This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 7 months ago by Megan.

• Author
       Bryan Bishop
      Participant

The last few days have had a lot of back forth designed to make us doubt what is real, and what is a game / immersive theater / etc. Alongside that, we’ve seen some changes to the way the Lust FB page was operating — which I think could be a tell that while we briefly saw the truth the other day, we are now safely back in a fictionalized narrative that Joyce and the Friendly Mason that @kevin spoke with are part of.

This is going to be a little speculative, but hear me out…

This chapter all of the FB paintings have been of the school of Abstract Expressionism. (Thanks, @wanda102!) The sole exception was yesterday’s image, which not only was a complete change in style, but it also had an explicit meta message: a painting within the main image actually featured the Lust Logo on it. One possible read: We have now taken a step back, outside the world of The Lust Experience, and can view Lust as the fiction it is.

Then, today, we’re back to Abstract Expressionism. Unto itself, it’s just a blip. But if we look at the larger timeline, there’s some potential cause and effect here.

1. On 8.30, Lust posts an Abstract Expressionism painting with the quote, “Those who can make you believe absurdities can you make you commit atrocities.” Theme: true horrors can be hidden with fiction.

2. Later that day, @addisonborn receives a phone call with a recording of Clint Sears telling Darren that they have to go along and do… something, even though it goes against their pre-planned narrative. Clint also concludes that “he” — we’re assuming Mason — is actually real.

3. That same day, Darren Bousman calls @thebuz, says he is sorry, and to never contact that number again. As of that moment, TPTB essentially go dark.

4. The night of 8.30, there is no evening song and message posted to Facebook. Inference: whomever was running the Facebook page — ostensibly TPTB — have left the building.

5. On 8.31, a text conversation with DLB is leaked to me, in which Darren talks about the entire project having turned into “a lie sandwiched in between these things of truth.”

6. Before I post the leaked conversation, the Lust FB updates with the meta-themed painting described above. Inference: We have now stepped outside the world of The Lust Experience, and are witnessing objective truth.

7. I receive disguised calls from someone saying “We are not in control,” “The way out is through,” and then repeating my name over and over. This could have very easily been a warning from TPTB – wherever they are right now.

8. Later that day, @kevin receives a call from Mason, who is uncharacteristically chatty. He goes through a laundry list conveniently debunking all of our meta theories of the day – the theories that Kevin had just laid out in a forum post – and lays out the stakes as the same The People vs. OSDM dynamic that occurred last year. The stakes that we, the community, had been suspecting may have been fiction all along. (I might be wrong, but I think this was the first time Mason has said the letters OSDM?) To top it all off, Mason actually tells Kevin to ask OSDM about this to back him up.

9. Suddenly Joyce Carlberg appears, distracting us all with a call for questions for a livestreamed Q&A.

10. That night, the Lust FB page resumes its daily song posts, and as of this morning we are back to Abstract Expressionism paintings. Back to normal.

If we use the FB posts as a tell, for around 18 hours we were actually seeing outside of the fiction. In that time, TPTB warned us that they were no longer in control. The painting was different. The interactions we were receiving via phone were different. And then when Mason came in to tell us our OSDM bedtime story, everything went back to normal. We all willingly stepped inside the box, and the lie.

I’m not sure what this means for TPTB necessarily, or if it supports a Two-Mason theory or not. But the momentary change in FB image styles seems far too significant to ignore without some theorizing.

Cara
      Participant

Thanks for this re-cap, @bcbishop!! I missed the @joycecarlberg Q&A CTA. Gotta catch up! Things are getting really interesting now. Interested to see what types of answers she can provide. Also interested to see this mysterious Joyce finally!

Violet
      Participant

Good recap, @bcbishop!! I agree, it seems like while we were outside the fiction for a while, everything’s back to “normal”…or so we’re meant to believe. And that out of the usual fb post is the key.

Chris
      Participant

My question is can the Facebook page be trusted as an objective, omniscient presence that reliably indicates what is actually happening, or is it being run by a specific in-game entity with an agenda? In the past the nightly song/quote has frequently been used as a quiet endorsement of a piece of speculation from that day, what felt like TPTB confirming we were on the right track without explicitly breaking the reality. But there has always been talk about WHO picks those paintings, who is choosing the songs? Are we meant to think that deeply, that the songs and paintings can be corrupted to confuse, or is this twice daily check in the one reliably honest aspect of this experience above the personalities and factions that populate this world? We know that individuals can and have exerted their agendas in other corners of the Facebook presence like the iConfidant page and Otis’ profile. Is the Lust page immune? Or is it another partisan tool?

Violet
      Participant

@macbethinabathtub Also good points worthy of thought. I don’t think we can rely on ANYTHING too comfortably right now.

Bryan Bishop
      Participant

Great points, @macbethinabathtub. The Facebook image changing is so overt, it could just as easily point to the “we’re now out of the fiction” jaunt being a piece of misdirection unto itself.

Someone could be leaning into the idea of selling Mason as real (though he is not), because he and his weirdness are ultimately meant to discredit — by sheer association — anyone that claims this is more than theater.

UPDATE: Been talking to @kevin offline, and this misdirect theory is actually starting to sound more and more likely.

-What was the tipping point piece of evidence that pointed to Mason being “real”? An allegedly secret recording of Clint Sears. If that recording was faked by TPTB (or someone else), then Mason is just a character.

-What set up the legitimacy of the Clint recording? Stephanie, Andrew, Damien, and Erika all claiming they’re heard from Mason and were freaked out in one way or another.

Potential conclusion? They’re in on it.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Bryan Bishop. Reason: Brain was melting so added more crazy thoughts
      • This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Bryan Bishop. Reason: Brain was melting so added more crazy thoughts
       Cristen
      Participant

Oh Christ, @bcbishop…if you’re right, we are being expertly puppeted. And all the world is a fucking stage.

Meghan Mayhem
      Participant

@macbethinabathtub In regards to “Who holds the control of the FB”

We know that individuals can and have exerted their agendas in other corners of the Facebook presence like the iConfidant page and Otis’ profile. Is the Lust page immune? Or is it another partisan tool?

I want to remind you of when BOS took over for a day. That was fun.
      https://www.facebook.com/thelustexperience/posts/1889205321400170

Lawrence Meyers
      Participant

@bcbishop and @Kevin — Because of the mixed evidence on everything we experience, the only thing we can ultimately do is respond honestly and authentically. The dice will fall where they may.

Pe Hunt GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Megan
      Participant

OK just chiming in – @bcbishop and I have been talking on the phone on and off today about a few things and while I need to digest this further, as well as some other thoughts he is having on Mason, I’m pretty on board with this theory as well.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar