Find your true self: a theory

This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Megan.

• Author
       Maranda
      Participant

In case you missed it, the Lust fb page posted a cut-together video of the periscopes @lilmsfancpants and @bcbishop made about their experiences on 3/22. The text on the post itself reads “Join us and find your true self.” Could finding one’s true self be the actual purpose behind all of this talk of shadows?

Here’s my hypothesis. Everyone to a certain extent hides some part of themselves from the rest of the world. I think the OSDM, if they’re still interested in gathering data from us, would have to find a way to get us to expose that part of ourselves. They tried to do that during Tension, but it backfired when all people wanted to do was save Addison, and that became the driving force behind participant decisions. The OSDM couldn’t get a good look at what we were hiding.

But now, with the themes of reflection and shadow selves becoming more prominent, they are delving into each of our hidden sides in an effort to examine us wholly and completely.

Lia and Bryan’s respective experiences were (dare I say it) mirror images of each other in terms of tone, and seeing them cut together into one video only reinforces that. I also found the video’s choice of music quite telling. The score they chose was the second movement of Beethoven’s 7th Symphony (one of my favorite pieces of music ever). The structure of this movement is really interesting when viewed in light of the theme of reflection, because the main melody is repeated over and over as the piece progresses, each time adding more instruments and more accompaniment lines. The basic essence remains the same, but its final form is unveiled over time. A fitting musical metaphor for finding one’s true self, if I may say so. Also, in the complete movement, the main melody is in a minor key, but before long a second theme in a major key arrives to contrast the first theme, another musical metaphor for mirrors and reflections.

Thoughts?

Taylor Winters
      Participant

This theory aligns perfect with the ultimate goal of the OSDM. In Tension, the OSDM gathered data on how we reacted during tense situations. However, do to societal norms, most people don’t show a “lustful” side of themselves in life. Thus, they would need to see these shadow sides of ourselves, the personality that does not come out often. In Freud’s theory, this would be the id, a seething cauldron of excitations. Therefore, this would be the data that they would want most because gaining data on Lustful situations would be hard without bringing this side forward.

Great work @izryn!

Melissa
      Participant

I finally got to see the video! The music made me excited right away, as @izryn pointed out it’s Beethoven’s Symphony No. 7 in A major, Op. 92, II. Allegretto

It’s actually my favorite piece of classical music.

Also fun fact: Allegretto had to be ENCORED during the premiere. That loosely ties into stimulaneous actions/mirroring…

What also alarms me is the “soon they won’t know you anymore”* and the Peter and the Wolf story. I know there’s a few versions of the story but basically in the end nobody believed the boy who cried wolf. Makes me wonder if we as a Community will be set up in a way that in the end we practically don’t know each other anymore. DLB alluded to our hearts being smashed into itty bitty pieces…..(((Shudder)))

Apologies if I overlapped items that have been discussed, long day! Night all

*Probably not the exact quote but hopefully close.

Brad Ruwe
      Participant

I just finished an immersive experience (Have You Seen Jake) where I def had to take a good hard look at myself. Don’t know if I’m quite ready to do that AGAIN with this haha.

Though I do love the video they shared. Def gives my friends somewhat of an idea to the crazy shit I’m getting into.

Lawrence Meyers
      Participant

(•_•)
      <) )╯ My theory was right.
      / \

(•_•)
      ( (> Yours wasn’t.
      / \

(•_•)
      <) )> Bitchez.
      / \

What did I say? What Jung said. You must incorporate your Shadow in order to find full awareness, The Self, or “Your True Self”. This appears to now be LUST’s tag line.

BUT REMEMBER how we all thought Shadow Larry was mocking me? He wasn’t. He was telegraphing that I was right.

So who has two thumbs and really should be getting back to polishing their latest and greatest creative endeavor (but the synchronicity won’t let him go)? THIS GUY!
      I’m sitting here thinking about Lust, how I could use a sandwich and basically anything other than what I am supposed to be doing when… I go back to, “the hungry snake chose to eat itself”.
      Our old pal, OUROBOROS.
      Now anyone who knows me knows that everything and anything always goes back to, JUNG. What did our (2nd favorite) Swiss have to say about the snake who always had dinner with himself?
      “The Ouroboros is a dramatic symbol for the integration and assimilation of the opposite, i.e. of the shadow. This ‘feed-back’ process is at the same time a symbol of immortality, since it is said of the Ouroboros that he slays himself and brings himself to life, fertilizes himself and gives birth to himself. He symbolizes THE ONE, who proceeds from the clash of opposites, and he therefore constitutes the secret of the prima materia which unquestionably stems from man’s unconscious.”
      Now call me crazy and I’ll say:
      “Call your doctor – call your shrink
      Western science she strictly rinkydink“
      Das kommt mir seltsam vor.

@mike
      You’re right. I’ll never let you live it down. ?
      Alas, this suggests that I may very well get what I deserve, and when that involves the Shadow…GOLLUM GOLLUM….

Max Z
      Participant

Well if I wasn’t convinced before…damn.

Bryan Bishop
      Participant

@Larry Let’s be intellectually honest here. I’ve always loved your theory, but this doesn’t mean your Shadow still wasn’t giving you shit for your Jung obsession. 😉 <3 <3 <3

Lawrence Meyers
      Participant

@bcbishop Um. Well. Okay. You mayyyyyy have a point.
      I mean, a little one. Okay, medium. Okay, it’s a gigantic truth that I can’t ignore.

Megan
      Participant

What if I don’t want to find my true self? What if I already found my true self and stuffed it under the couch cushions and spend all my days hoping it never comes out again?

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar