FB Post 9/20

This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 7 months ago by Kevin.

• Author
       Melissa
      Participant

Artist is Sascha Schneider, Hypnosis (1904)

“A Ship in Harbor Is Safe, but That Is Not What Ships Are Built For”

In other words: get out of your comfort zone (harbor) and explore/do the things. Even when the waters get rocky, that’s life. Stay in the harbor and your reward will be barnacles and rot.

I find the quote to be rather appropriate and actually and applause to @addisonborn who went public about his choices last night. Clearly this was out of his comfort zone BUT something he obviously wanted to talk about.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Melissa.
       Brad Ruwe
      Participant

If the painting is called “hypnosis”, are we guessing that “are you susceptible to hypnosis?” question from Ascension’s paperwork is coming back into play?

Kevin
      Participant

This quote pairs nicely with one we saw much earlier on:

“I wish to have no connection to a ship which does not sail fast; for I intend to go into harm’s way.”

Get out of the harbor and sail into danger. After all, “the only way out is through,” and we’re likely to encounter danger all the way down.

Cristen
      Participant

Good pull @kevin. I don’t know if it’s what Sabrina was trying to tell us by implying I/we had agency to help Joyce but…staying still and doing nothing is the safe path, and that is definitely not what we’re here for.

Megan
      Participant

@nothenrygale – so that question WAS on the questionnaire??

Chelsea
      Participant

Every time I see this quote, I insist that it’s one of my favorite things I’ve ever read.

And then, @Kevin, you threw this up.

“I wish to have no connection to a ship which does not sail fast; for I intend to go into harm’s way.”

Every time I see this quote, I get the throat lump. But in a good way. It’s the same response to the quote from today. Thank you for reminding me that this exists.

Brad Ruwe
      Participant

@coryphella It was on my waiver form I filled out my first time through Ascension. I never took the mega questionnaire since I came into Tension super late in the game. Maybe they gave new participants an abridged version before Ascension? There were def some unusual questions they had me answer in the waiver paperwork. But I distinctly remember that question being asked on it.

Megan
      Participant

Unusual for the paintings to take a step back in time, yes?

Addison
      Participant

This has to be coincidence, it’s a really strange and pretty obscure callback. But in April, Geena and I were doing honeymoon stuff, and I had sent this to my Confidant. It’s probably on the top of my mind because I also have a model of the ship on my desk.

We're in Stockholm right now on vacation, spent a bit in Copenhagen and then took the train up. Did the ABBA museum yesterday, and the Vasa museum.. somehow they made an entire museum about a poorly built ship that sunk immediately after leaving the dock and then sat underwater for 300 years.

Kevin
      Participant

If the painting is called “hypnosis”, are we guessing that “are you susceptible to hypnosis?” question from Ascension’s paperwork is coming back into play?

I actually think the quote and the image are working with each other here. There’s a creature of some kind hypnotizing and paralyzing the man into doing nothing. If we let ourselves be hypnotized by our own fear, indecision, and complacency, we’ll sit in that harbor forever and as @mkarrett said, the only “reward will be barnacles and rot.”

As a side note, all of the images of this chapter have featured not-quite-human creatures. I don’t know what to make of it just yet, but wondering if that pattern will continue.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar