FB Post 7/21

This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 9 months ago by Hannah Schenck.

• Author
       Hannah Schenck
      Participant

Today’s photo features a charcoal drawing that could be futurism, cubism, or cubo futurism. Still trying to locate the original drawing and artist so if anyone has located it please post below! Here is the photo with some info on the philosopher quoted.

null

The philosopher William James, was an American philosopher and psychologist who was also trained as a physician. The first educator to offer a psychology course in the United States,[3] James was one of the leading thinkers of the late nineteenth century and is believed by many to be one of the most influential philosophers the United States has ever produced, while others have labeled him the “Father of American psychology”. He is known as one of the major figures associated with pragmatism & is known to contribute to the founding of functional psychology or funcstionalism.
      (Wikipedia)

Functionalism was a philosophy opposing the prevailing structuralism of psychology of the late 19th century. Edward Titchener, the main structuralist, gave psychology its first definition as a science of the study of mental experience, of consciousness, to be studied by trained introspection.

Pragmatism considers thought an instrument or tool for prediction, problem solving and action, and rejects the idea that the function of thought is to describe, represent, or mirror reality.[3] Pragmatists contend that most philosophical topics—such as the nature of knowledge, language, concepts, meaning, belief, and science—are all best viewed in terms of their practical uses and successes. The philosophy of pragmatism “emphasizes the practical application of ideas by acting on them to actually test them in human experiences”.[4] Pragmatism focuses on a “changing universe rather than an unchanging one as the Idealists, Realists and Thomists had claimed”.
      (Wikipedia)

Hannah Schenck
      Participant

Perhaps we should stop educating our judgements, and start focusing on the facts.

Violet
      Participant

The philosophy of pragmatism “emphasizes the practical application of ideas by acting on them to actually test them in human experiences”

welp, sounds a lot like some of the stuff that’s happening now. and the quote itself…to me, it has a very “the owls are not what they seem” vibe. like, you think you know something but you don’t even know.

random rambly thoughts.

Jackie
      Participant

Fantastic breakdown.
      Speaking of facts and realities, the new moon in July is coming, the 23rd is almost here, from emails way back.
      Is it just a moon, or is it something more? (In keeping with the theme)

Brad Ruwe
      Participant

Very true @theladyj! I’m sure something will go down on Sunday, maybe at dusk even? Will there be this sacrifice we’ve heard so much about?

Anonymous
      Inactive

My tired mind is processing this quote as such given the current BoS versus OSDM dynamic operating within the forums…We think whichever side we are on is the correct side due to our own perceptions and prejudices towards certain events that have happened. If we step back from our egos and perceptions of reality and look at the bare bones facts, perhaps we will be able to see past the distractions that have been placed in front of us?

It is just a lame ball analysis on my part fueled by sleep deprivation and the souls of coffee beans. I may be completely incorrect to approach this quote in this particular way. -shrugs-

Kevin
      Participant

I take the quote to be a comment on how much people are willing to rationalize so something fits in with their worldview. Maybe an organization is using methods you disagree with, but you know the people behind it or you agree with their end goal. In that case you’re cool with it, but in a similar scenario you wouldn’t be. What happens when you drop those preconceived notions? You might come to the same conclusion, but you could also come to a wildly different one.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Reminds me of a tenet of Scientology: “If it’s true for you, it’s true for you.”

It’s a great way to rationalize all sorts of behaviors and thoughts, no matter how abusive they might be.

Meghan Mayhem
      Participant

@kipsie I am also reminded of one of my all time favorite quotes which applies to…all of this quite well…

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” -Voltaire

Roppi
      Participant

Everyone is making a really good point about the quote. It makes me wonder who this is directed at, them or us? Or is it a “in general”?

Meghan Mayhem
      Participant

Another quite applicable quote:

“The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” – Bertrand Russell

Nicki
      Participant

The art is bedeviling me! I want to identify it … *Zooms in, looks for fingerprint left in charcoal, compares to database of artist prints.* The signature in the top right is cut off, but we can see that it was signed in 1922. Sadly, after the death of our philosopher William James.

Blondie
      Participant

Damn, 1922 makes it a bit late for Cubo-Futurism which was based in Russia around 1915… ?

Chris
      Participant

To me it seems more direct than all that. We may believe we’re thinking – but forget that, we are only going in the exact direction they want us to go. All we are doing here, with theories and wondering is nothing but a collection of thoughts planted by them. We are only rearrenging old ideas thinking we are comming up with something new. Like @meghanmayhem quoted: we are getting very cocksure and doubting way too little. Maybe.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@kwanyin

I completely agree, Chris.

Sometimes we get lost looking for specific trees that we forget that there is an entire forest.

I want to go back to a few things at some point and revisit events that we may have straight up missed an important clue.

Chris
      Participant

@thebuz
      Sometimes the box is way bigger than any of our thoughts can imagine. But we must put them outside. What it is that we are not seeing? What is really new here, that wasn’t a part of the game before? What wouldn’t be an old prejudice? What theory is not based on old ideas or characters from the past? Who are the new players? What’s diferent? How to separate what is known already from what we must learn? Maybe thats the real trick here.

Cristen
      Participant

Worth noting here that we started our Facebook images back in the Prologue with strict Greco Roman sculpture, then Chapter One was Classical Style painting, Chapter Two was Pre Raphaelite painting, and Chapter Three appears to be Futirust work thus far.
      The art is following a chronological and thematic line that seems to fit with the “old to new” idea we were bandying about after @coryphella was told about there possibly being and old and new version of the Book of Anoch.

Are we witnessing an evolution?

Chris
      Participant

Yes, I was just thinking about that (saw you guys talking about it at Slack)… Out with the old, in with the new, maybe? (Woke up today with a crazy idea about Noah taking over Horace, or something like that)
      Stop with the old projudices and start to think with brand new points of view and brand new… Clues? Ideas? Characters? Points of view? Once again, whats diferent? Or whats new? (And here it could be a new Book od Anoch, if we are going that way… To what? Bring back the loved one mentioned in the song? Some many damn questions, lol). 🙂

Megan
      Participant

@wanda102 – which is kind of interesting because I took that guy’s call to mean that old was better, or that there were supporters of the older darker ways.

Cristen
      Participant

@coryphella I took it the same way too. That we’d seen the New Anoch last year, and this year was about resurrecting and implementing the real “old” Anoch. It’s almost as if we’re moving forward in an effort to go back to that original template.

Hannah Schenck
      Participant

This ties in with the ourobos and the evolution of life. Evolution is the key word and you guys hit the nail on the head here. Our species, for example, has evolved into much more complex beings and I think it is safe to say that perhaps this journey mimics that if the goal is to resurrect Anoch. Tying in our advances with technology you can also support the theory that this will play a huge part in the storyline as well.

Viewing 20 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar