FB Post – 6/27

This topic has 5 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 9 months ago by Anonymous.

• Author
       Kortney
      Participant

Quote –
      “Never compete with someone who has nothing to lose” – Baltasar Gracian

Original Painting – Circe Invidiosa

John William 1892, oil on canvas

Circe Invidiosa is a painting by John William Waterhouse completed in 1892. It is his second depiction, after Circe Offering the Cup to Ulysses (1891), of the Greek mythological character, Circe, this time while she is poisoning the water to turn Scylla, Circe’s rival for Glaucus, “into a hideous monster”. Anthony Hobson describes the painting as being “invested with an aura of menace, which has much to do with the powerful color scheme of deep greens and blues employed so well”. Taken as a pair, Waterhouse’s Circes prompt the question: “is she goddess or woman?”

Jackie
      Participant

The quote, and maybe the spurn I feel from the painting, makes me think of Stacy.

Chloe
      Participant

Circe poisoning the waters to turn Scylla into a hideous monster.

Stacey downloading IT into LUST? Poisoning the forums so we aren’t positive if it’s us talking or IT?

Cristen
      Participant

Sea god Glaucus came to Circe for a love potion to make Scylla fall in love with him; she’d run from his advances, disgusted by his fish tail. Circe falls in love with Glaucus instead and, full of rage with jealousy for her rival, poisoned the pool Scylla bathed in, turning her into the sea monster we know from The Odyssey.

Invidiosa: Envy. This is a story of rage and competition. Of bile and rancor. Of rising above those who threaten your goal by whatever means necessary. Circe created a monster by becoming one.

Kevin
      Participant

While reading up on Circe this morning, I found this on Wikipedia:
      In her survey of the Transformations of Circe, Judith Yarnall comments of this figure, who started out as a comparatively minor goddess of unclear origin, that “What we know for certain – what Western literature attests to – is her remarkable staying power…These different versions of Circe’s myth can be seen as mirrors, sometimes clouded and sometimes clear, of the fantasies and assumptions of the cultures that produced them.” After appearing as just one of the characters that Odysseus encounters on his wandering, “Circe herself, in the twists and turns of her story through the centuries, has gone through far more matamorphoses than those she inflicted on Odysseus’s companions.”

Some connotations to every new player that arrives on the scene and how opinion splits on them, but maybe even more applicable to Sabrina/Addison/Gatekeeper2/Overseer. Last year (and I think Michelle pointed it out at The End) she was a mirror, in all of her forms to people’s own desires. Whether she needed to be rescued, or remain in power, or escape from the OOA on her own, or take complete control, that reflected something about the person. The metamorphoses ran through all of Tension and have continued into Lust where she became I don’t even know how many iConfidants before revealing her latest change into someone willing to work with the people who broke her.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@kevin

Some connotations to every new player that arrives on the scene and how opinion splits on them, but maybe even more applicable to Sabrina/Addison/Gatekeeper2/Overseer. Last year (and I think Michelle pointed it out at The End) she was a mirror, in all of her forms to people’s own desires. Whether she needed to be rescued, or remain in power, or escape from the OOA on her own, or take complete control, that reflected something about the person. The metamorphoses ran through all of Tension and have continued into Lust where she became I don’t even know how many iConfidants before revealing her latest change into someone willing to work with the people who broke her.

Yes! Not to push my own theory threads but I posted about this a few days ago HERE.

Sabrina is the person that we see ourselves through. Last year it was the prism in which we saw everything. I don’t know what that means exactly for this year, but she definitely is a reflection of our own selves… at least in my own opinion.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar