FB Post 6/20

Tagged: 

This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 10 months ago by Twan Intarathuch.

• Author
       Anonymous
      Inactive

lol nymphs

Full quote from Tolstoy

“What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness! A beautiful woman utters absurdities: we listen, and we hear not the absurdities but wise thoughts” ~ Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy.

Anonymous
      Inactive

This pretty much falls right in line with the idea that though the temptation may seem fun and fulfilling, you are being blinded by the beauty with what is being presented.

We’ve all felt that. When your friends tell you that the girl/guy you’re dating has ALL the red flags and you don’t see it until suddenly it’s too late.

As my Dad once told me….

“Son, never make a decision when you have a boner.”

Cara
      Participant

Chiming in with my thoughts from an earlier status update so they are in line with the post.

Beauty and goodness are most definitely not synonymous.

We seem to be diving deeper into desires now. Desiring tempting but dangerous things. Sweet but unhealthy foods. Beautiful but wicked people. Be careful what you Lust for…

Kevin
      Participant

I’m not familiar with The Kreutzer Sonata, but according to Wikipedia it is: “an argument for the ideal of sexual abstinence and an in-depth first-person description of jealous rage.”

Along with the encounter that @wanda102 and @rizzzoooooo had yesterday, there’s a major line of denying your impulses, a major turn from where we were with The System. And even from iConfidant in a way; people knew things were off, but dove in anyways out of a desire for friendship, or companionship, or someone to share with. Don’t know how well the jealous rage thing fits in (yet) though.

Cristen
      Participant

*tags in*

This is a Waterhouse painting called “Hylas and the Nymphs” (or nyads)
      Hylas was a childhood friend of Hercules who went missing when he went to fill a pitcher at a spring and the water nymphs emerged and, enamored with him, pulled him into the water with them. Hercules spent a long time searching for his friend, but never found him; Hylas had chosen to stay with the nymphs “eager to share their power and love.”
      Here again is temptation. But Hylas was kidnapped, and later seemingly convinced that choosing temptation was the right decision. Are we being presented with gluttonous temptation disguised as a better option? Are we even being given a choice?

Also @kevin you make a good point that got me thinking. Neither @rizzzoooooo or I had any idea who called us yesterday, and were given no information other than “meet my associate at 10pm.” We expressed our doubts to many of you as to what the purpose of this meet was, and we went anyway. We were given food by a stranger in a restaurant we’d never been to, and we tried it anyway. Our desire for the unknown overruled any logical impulse.

Kortney
      Participant

“You know, it’s funny; when you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags.” – Wanda the Owl, BoJack Horseman

Cristen
      Participant

I didn’t forget you, Tolstoy! This quote is from The Kreutzer Sonata as previously mentioned. It’s a novella about a man who’s murdered his wife, a woman he grew to hate as he hated the carnal obsession he and all men have with women. He is acquited of her murder because she was in the midst of an adulterous act when he discovered and killed her, so now he tells his story to fellow traingoers, seeking a form of forgiveness. It’s a (rather preachy) diatribe on women as objects of desire that hold a power over men’s behavior due to the sexual impulses they inspire. It’s also a declaration against love, at least physical love, as a hinderence to potential and cause for violence and jealousy amongst men.

Twan Intarathuch
      Participant

All I can think of is poor Andy @confuseddude

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar