FB Post 5/30/17 Eye of the Beholder

This topic has 33 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 10 months ago by Anonymous.

• Author
       Cristen
      Participant

“Sin is a gravitation,” everybody come look.

This is a painting by Jean-Léon Gérôme called “A Roman Slave Market.” Gérôme did a series of six paintings on this subject. I wanted to note that he painted a different view of this same scene in “A Slave Market in Rome” that is far less romanticized. I’d tie this back to unreliable narrators and accepting what we’re presented in front of us as the only truth à la Plato’s Cave Allegory.

Here’s what you’re not seeing:

Alternate view Slave Market

Brad Ruwe
      Participant

Thank you for being the “painting expert” of sorts with this! My art history classes from college have been failing me with many of these paintings. Getting the story with what’s being posted is helping me get a grasp on what sort of themes we may be dealing with.

Yael
      Participant

Okay the word ” slaves” what has do with us? All I am thinking is iconfidant if we been talking to those women so far we been talking to female iconfidants might be slaves?!? my mind is all full of crazy ideas right now I hope I am wrong. Thanks for art lesson I look forward to your lessons @wanda102

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Yael.
       Cristen
      Participant

Let me just put the original image here for comparison too.

Original Slave Market

@sassyyael
      I don’t know if I’d go so far as to say iconifidants are slaves, but @meghanmayhem made a great point yesterday about Sarah maybe being “assigned” to Noah (possibly by Horace?) like an iconfidant. She is bound to him by contract; a more sophisticated and autonomous form of a slave purchase. But with similar consequences for breaking the deal.

As far as us being slaves? Sure. I mean, how many of you are reading this instead of manning your day job?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Am I correct to presume that “Sin is a gravitation” implies that sin is natural?

Meghan Mayhem
      Participant

@wanda102 This is a wonderfully astute observation. Perspective is everything. The temptress or the slave. Sin by nature or by choice.

Brad Ruwe
      Participant

I believe so @birdiesrunamok. In one line of thought it fits perfectly. If you think “sin” is a human construct of control, a way to tell people what not to do, the idea that humans will do what feels natural to them regardless of morals would set up the thinking that “sin is natural”. Of course that ignores human empathy and the desire to not bring harm or pain to others, but in a strictly “sin is a social creation” means, I can see how this line of thinking fits.

Kevin
      Participant

Thanks for doing so much work with all of these paintings @wanda102.

I think this can also tie into things even past the idea of the unreliable narrator. So much of Lust has been what sides, we as participants, are seeing events from. And those perspectives continue to shift back and forth as we go deeper into the maze. At first Noah was a self-help guru who came off like a giant asshole. As we’ve seen him from different angles, he’s been someone who’s blackmailed someone else, a fun loving anti-hero of sorts, a guy trying to keep Sarah safe, and someone willing to work with Horace even though he appears to be a monster. Hell, even with what happened to Andy, I’m sure we can see that act as one that helped us learn more about Horace, but Andy (and others) probably view it as Noah leading him into a trap.

The same can be said of many of the other major players from Sarah to iConfidant to Stacey. Maybe there’s a correct way to see these people or maybe it just comes down to subjective truth, such a huge concept in Ascension.

On that, note, the subject of the painting (a slave trade) is clearly, objectively wrong. Except those purchasing the slaves probably didn’t even stop to consider what they were doing. They had the money and the power and everything is meant to serve their whims. Which sounds an awful lot like Horace.

Cristen
      Participant

@birdiesrunamok @nothenrygale let’s also recall the use of “Chaos was the law of Nature, Order was the dream of Man.”

Also, a longer version of the Hugo quote reads “to commit the least possible sin is the law for man. To live without sin is the dream of an angel. Everything terrestrial is subject to sin. Sin is a gravitation.”

It’s from Les Miserables.

Lauren Bello

Angle #1: The painting in the FB post reminded me of the conversation some of us had with Ramik. The tendency we have to offer ourselves up for public consumption.

Angle #2: The new context still works in reframing that idea – maybe we don’t have the agency we think we do in sharing our lives. Maybe we don’t have much of a choice.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Now the real question is how does this pertain to events that will take place later today…?

Anonymous
      Inactive

is Andy going to get turned into a slave?

Anonymous
      Inactive

@lexthewolf I think it depends on what type of slavery. Considering what we’ve learned regarding Horace’s views on women and now seeing artwork depicting women as slaves, I’m not entirely sure if Andy is the target.

Sage
      Participant

@wanda102, wow the reverse of this image is absolutely fascinating. And it makes me extremely uncomfortable. For the first time in this journey, I’m feeling something, something slightly sickening and disturbing concerning how women are being portrayed here.

Cara
      Participant

@sfire8 Yes, between being referred to as “vessels” for “seed” and this image, I’m doubting Horace and others in the organization have a tremendous amount of respect for women in general. Which, you know, is super awesome… :-/

Addison
      Participant

My immediate thought about “vessels,” “seeds,” and the sexual imagery in the ritual we saw – is the OSDM or whoever we’re thinking is behind this (still catching up on the past forever) aiming to birth a supernatural being?

The parallels between what’s happening here and the OOA’s attempts to create an Oracle are pretty strong, seems like it could come down to a difference in interpretation. If we in fact are getting a look at what’s detailed in the OG Book of Anoch, maybe the rituals are related?

What if Andy’s being primed as the seed, and whoever the woman on the floor was is the vessel? Both are slaves with slightly different purposes but the same goal?

Also, sorry if this has been brought up elsewhere.

Sean

@addisonborn – wouldn’t be out of the question. Especially since, as far as we’ve seen, the major rituals that these people are performing have been either this or the one during Ascension, both linked directly with their search for an Oracle.

A terrifying thought to think that Tension may have been focused on the search of an Oracle but Lust is focused on the creation of one.

Kyle Bown
      Participant

@thegilded
      I shudder to think of what would happen if they were successful in creating one…

Cristen
      Participant

I was thinking signs pointed to transmutation if Anoch himself into a vessel that carries his bloodline. Would certainly be a step up from Tension, from my understanding.

scot
      Participant

When I look at the pictures I see the obvious, but I also the men bidding as slaves. They are slaves to their lust for power and control. Though they are obviously able to determine the fate of another human being are they truly able to determine their own? Strip away their possessions, status and influence over others and what is left?

Addison
      Participant

What if…….

Brad Ruwe
      Participant

Mind. Blown.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@addisonborn da Da DAAAAAAAA (it sounded better in my head.)

Cara
      Participant

@addisonborn HA! That’s hilarious. 😀

Jackie
      Participant

What if we’re the slaves? the unenlightened? We’re the chaos seeking control? The ones paraded around the meat market? Submit and be made whole. Why? Because we’re incomplete?

But I LIKE the possibility of the subtle Andy undertone.

Blondie
      Participant

If only their intentions were so pure @theladyj… We were promised enlightenment before and were showed up as fools, willingly giving up our data for what can only be nefarious purposes. And is our “enlightenment” really worth the trail of corpses left in our wake? I don’t want to be sold. And I’m not willing to sell myself either.

Taylor Winters
      Participant

Do we really know their end game anymore though? OSDM was to collect data so they could predict our actions and control us through forecasted data. But who’s even in charge now–and what do they want? To bring an old God forth again? To create an oracle? To create a world in which our desires become reality? I’m curious to learn more.

Sage
      Participant

Hahaha, I love that now we’re almost certain Andy is going to be sold off at a sex slave auction on 6/3!! I’m dying.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@wanda102 You really need to put all of your FB analysis into one epic thread as there is so much interesting stuff going on here.

I definitely agree that this stuff is all tying right back into Plato’s Allegory of the Cave. iConfidant is a perfect example of that.

“Here’s your new friend, they’re your perfect match!”

When it reality it’s just Boris the Stick man gerking off to all our emotional conversations.

Chloe
      Participant

When in reality it’s just Boris the Stick man gerking off to all our emotional conversations.

I haven’t even seen the guy and I’m having horrible visuals now…no…just no…?

Jaynesis
      Participant

Mmm. Plato’s Allegory of the Cave. The shadows and being shackled down, not wanting to see the light because it is too brought. Some will see, others will remain. What is the cost of relief from these chains?

Briana
      Participant

yes! The Allegory of the Cave was EXACTLY what @nosnevets’ video was about!

I also think it’s interesting that @maddyxxx has pretty much been telling us repeatedly that we’re missing something huge, as if we ARE the slaves in the cave just waiting for someone to break us out (or for the strength/knowledge to break ourselves out maybe?).

I’m a big fan of this allegory of the cave talk.

Meghan Mayhem
      Participant

@brianamatopoeia @argos5
      The Allegory of the Cave theory was discussed rather extensively a couple months ago and is a great read full of cool details.
      The thread can be found here

Anonymous
      Inactive

@meghanmayhem @brianamatopoeia @argos5 I would say nearly everything we’ve been digging into with the Lust FB posts ties in someway to the Allegory of the Cave.

I don’t know exactly how it is all going to come together but I do think it’s a great jumping off point for what our goal is. We must extinguish the fire in order to see what is really behind the shadows.

Viewing 33 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar