FB Post 5/26/17 Narratives

This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 10 months ago by kody s Batchelor.

• Author
       Cristen
      Participant

“The good and wise lead quiet lives.”
      Well, that’s very interesting considering the art that accompanies it.

Sebastiano Ricci “The Battle of the Lapiths and Centaurs”

This is again a story from Ovid’s Metamorphosis. 

The Lapith king Pirithous was marrying Hippodamia, with many of his half brother Centaurs (horse/men) in attendance. The centaurs can’t handle their wine and got drunk; one ,(Eurytus) grabbed the bride and attempted to rape her, the rest of the Centaurs following suit and carrying off women. A battle ensued and the centaurs were defeated. The battle itself represents civilization overcoming barbarism, order over chaos. 

What I find even more interesting is how this story is told by Ovid. It is a first person account from Nestor, told to Achilles and assembled Greek warriors following a battle. After the story ends, Hercules’ son, who was listening, asks Nestor why he didn’t include his father’s exploits in his description of he battle, as everyone present already knew he had been there.

Nestor admits he left Hercules out intentionally because he hates him for killing his eleven brothers.  

It provides the quote:

“All narratives are unreliable it seems, subject to biases and prejudices–inversions and exclusions.”

Sounds relevant to me, how about you? Never Silent is all well and good, but don’t forget trust. The bad and foolish lead loud lives. Keep your eyes open for the Unreliable Narrators amongst us.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Tension was literally built upon the idea of the Unreliable Narrator.

Perfect example of this was the My Haunt Life podcast episode with Clint and Darren. They did the episode and all is well and fine… then during Ascension we came to find out that the entire thing was scripted. At least Darren and Clint’s parts.

kody s Batchelor
      Participant

I’m always thoroughly impressed by your vast knowledge of myth.

Cristen
      Participant

@waytogokody thanks, man. I’ve always enjoyed myth because they’re like the origin of all stories.

kody s Batchelor
      Participant

@thebuz I had no idea that was the case! I’ve been going back through those podcasts to educate myself. I haven’t heard that one yet but that’s bonkers!!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar