FB post – 4/20/17 – Benjamin Franklin

This topic has 5 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 11 months ago by Max Z.

• Author
       Blondie
      Participant

Latest Facebook post: “If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins.”

Anonymous
      Inactive

All sound advice from Mr. Franklin, but so seldom taken I think. Passion, of taken too far, can toss reason out the window and laugh merrily as it falls down.

Candace
      Participant

As I replied on facebook, I find that it’s either logic or passion and the two rarely coincide for me. Brain vs. Heart. Maybe that’s why I never truly feel happy. What I want and what I need are on two different ends of the spectrum.

thehazelverse
      Participant

I was talking with Babyface about the paradox that is (my) life.

The goal is to let go of all forms of attachment, being content with the present moment…

but intrinsically, my core purpose is to experience life to it’s full capacity (not go through in basic mode).

These themes fundamentally conflict, yet are tenets to my very existence.

I feel the same struggle here.

Lia
      Participant

@pandace88 I think most people are able to balance passion and reason fairly well. Acting on solely one or the other rarely satisfies though.

Keeping with the driving theme, passion alone would be riding a rocket. No contorl over mwhere you go exactly or how you get there. Reason alone would be a car with no gas, unable to go anywhere. But when you put that jet fuel in a car, suddenly you have the option to stop, make turns etc.

…Or you could crash into a wall. We’ve all done this to ourselves to probably, lol.

Max Z
      Participant

As a postmodern type of guy, I’m very sus about “Reason”. I think reason is just passion dressed up in a business suit. It’s efficient, but at the end of the day we’re all serving our id (whether you believe there is an actual id in the Freudian sense or if it’s a metaphorical id that’s ingrained by society or whatever). If you’re ever bored and get a chance, I recommend reading John Gray’s “Straw Dogs” and Horkheimer/Adorno’s “Dialectic of Enlightenment”, there’s some really fun shit in both of those that gives you pause and makes you wonder a lot about science and reason and whether they’re so terribly distinct from passions/spirituality in what they fulfill.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Max Z.
Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar