Facebook Post – the once and future king

This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Anonymous.

• Author
       Andrew K
      Participant

Lust just posted this image:

The Once and Future King’s themes being:

The central theme is an exploration of human nature regarding power and justice, as the boy Arthur becomes king and attempts to quell the prevalent “might makes right” attitude with his idea of chivalry.

The title comes from the inscription that, according to Sir Thomas Malory’s Le Morte d’Arthur, was written upon King Arthur’s tomb: Hic iacet Arthurus, rex quondam, rexque futurus – “Here lies Arthur, king once, and king to be.”[1]

Andrew K
      Participant

Andrew K
      Participant

Also interesting is that many of the characterizations in his book are contradictory/ opposite of other more common characteristics…..SHADOWS!

Perhaps most striking about White’s work is how he reinterprets the traditional Arthurian characters, often giving them motivations or traits more complex or even contradictory to those in earlier versions of the legend. For example:

Arthur evolves from a fallible but inquisitive and enthusiastic youth (“the Wart”) to an individualized and psychologically complex man.[3]
      Lancelot is no longer the handsome knight typical in the romantic legends but is instead portrayed as the ugliest of Arthur’s knights. He is also a sadist, a trait he represses, but which leads to bouts of self-loathing. He seeks to overcome his flaws through full devotion towards becoming Arthur’s greatest knight.
      Merlyn lives through time backwards, making him a bumbling yet wise old man who is getting younger.
      Sir Galahad is not well liked by many of the knights as he is truly perfect – to the point of being ‘inhuman’.

Mustafa Said
      Participant

I wonder just what the cost is to gain such power. What someone could lose along the way in order to achieve the power needed to turn their desires into reality.

Andrew K
      Participant

I Also found this interesting regarding the story:

Merlyn, knowing the boy’s destiny, teaches Arthur (known as “Wart”) what it means to be a good king by turning him into various kinds of animals: fish, hawk, ant, goose, and badger. Each of the transformations is meant to teach Wart a lesson, which will prepare him for his future life.

Merlyn instills in Arthur the concept that the only justifiable reason for war is to prevent another from going to war, and that contemporary human governments and powerful people exemplify the worst aspects of the rule of Might.

Kevin
      Participant

Galahad was so perfect that he was thought of as being ‘inhuman’. If people were “perfected” through AI or whatever, they’d probably have a similar issue and fall right into the uncanny valley.

Russell
      Participant

One wonders… will someone be crowned “The King of LUST”?

Anonymous
      Inactive

I could probably write an essay on this quote, but I won’t.

However, this is a quote that I agree with on a personal and spiritual level. The body and mind, once synced, can create illuminating results in connection with power. However, what we lose as a result can be catastrophic depending on a person’s values.

@mumumusings
      , my general observations based off of history is that usually people who pursue power tend to lose what is commonly associated with making us human i.e. love, family, etc. The single minded pursuit of power can arguably destroy a person’s life.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I feel like this quote goes back to the Hallows Or Horcruxes discussion.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar