CONJECTURE

This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Briana.

• Author
       Briana
      Participant

So I had a theory and I wasn’t sure where to post it so I googled speculation and conjecture to see if maybe one was the proper place for it. They essentially mean the same thing. Which we knew. And despite them having the same meaning, we deifferentiaed and determined a meaning to each to set them apart. Why would the creators of this board make two topics that hold the same information? They MUST mean something different, it MUST have been intentional.

So then I noticed a pattern.

With the introduction of the shadows, etc. Perhaps that’s a theme, perhaps we will be and have been introduced to the same thing in two forms and we make a distinction, but essentially, they’re the same thing. We’re both correct and incorrect at the same time.

which leads me to reason I googled those words in the first place.

Let us learn from Dr.Seuss and the Sneetches:

Anonymous
      Inactive

Paging @winstonsmith because I know that he has some thoughts on this topic…

Anonymous
      Inactive

There is a difference. Speculation is guessing… almost randomly. Conjecture has some basic facts behind the guessing but nothing is proven yet.

But they are reflections of each other. You’re definitely onto something.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Reflections, eh?

Blondie
      Participant

Dying over here at your reference to The Sneetches – my favourite book as a child!

I wrote the following in a blog post just after the forums opened. Thought it was relevant:

In some definitions, they are indeed synonyms and are both based on insufficient evidence and impossible to prove. Sounds about right…
      HOWEVER, there are a couple of things that strike me here. Speculation can mean taking a gamble, a “considerable risk… in the hope of profit…” while Conjecture, although this meaning is considered obsolete, can refer to “the interpretation of signs or omens”. If you take these two definitions then you definitely have two very different areas of exploration.
      At the end of the day, it’s all a matter of semantics and until we have an answer, no-one is really sure where certain topics belong…

Jackie
      Participant
       Briana
      Participant

lol @theladyj I’m honored and not honored at the same time (jk, just honored)

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar