A Theory of Spectacular Surface Geometry

This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years, 1 month ago by Candace.

• Author
       Sage
      Participant

@moustachemax or did anyone else read the published paper “A theory of Spectacular Surface Geometry” from the two guys at Columbia?

It’s pretty fascinating, basically that within specular (reflective) surfaces, like mirrors, it’s basically impossible to tell the real image from the virtual ones….

Ot at least that’s what I got from it…lot’s more in there.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Sage.
       Taylor Winters
      Participant

@sfire8, I did give it a read over. I found it very interesting. In college, I took a handful of computer science classes, and while this appears to be pretty advanced, it’s a great article.

The article is on Specular surfaces. As you mentioned, these are any surfaces that act as mirrors–allowing objects around it to be reflected back. This is one of the toughest areas to program in terms of virtual worlds and developed models. So they are developing a mathematical model to that will help better predict reflections in computer programs. Their definitions of real and virtual aren’t the same ones we would consider them though. Real are direct mappings onto the surface. So if I was standing still, a real point would be a texture on my shirt. But the virtual ones are artifacts created when an observer moves and the point is reflected across the specular surface. So all of these are within a virtual simulation, just the definitions are different depending on if it’s a one-to-one tracking or not.

So if none of that made sense, the bottom line is this paper offers a better model for creating a virtual representation of something that mirrors real life back at it. Thus, this has application to Tension in that Addison was a mirror to what we wanted her to be. And in Lust, it is likely something will mirror our emotions back at us to create a point of empathy to better judge our responses.

Candace
      Participant

Thank you for breaking that down so I could understand! I took one look at the paper and was like “NOPE”. BUT now that you’ve broken it down it makes sense and all I kept thinking was @lilmsfancpants phone call and the first step she was given: reflection

Lia
      Participant

@pandace88 I hadn’t even made this connection yet, haha!

My time at the OOA could be summed up quite neatly as an experiment in self-reflection, mimicry, and allowing myself to be present and letting those tests affect me. Especially on my second visit.

But will we be able to dig even deeper in LUST? Will we be challenged to find the ways in which our own self-image differ from what those around us see? Is there a way to align those two things more closely?

Lia
      Participant

Also, @taysavestheday THANK YOU for going through that beast of a paper and translating it into human words!

Candace
      Participant

Oh wow I really hope it does go there! That would be very interesting.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 The LUST Experience | Brought to you by the makers of The TENSION Experience |  Privacy Policy.

Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar